Probs A Stupid Question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by nick_thompson, Dec 26, 2004.

1. nick_thompson macrumors newbie

Hey People i just recieved a ipod for christmas. i've charged it and installed it. and ive noticed that my ipod seems to lose power when it is turnt off.
    Is this normal or should i take it back to the shop.
    Please get back to me asap.

2. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

It's normal for the iPod to lose a little bit of power when turned off. How much power do you lose, and how much time does it take to lose that amount?

3. nick_thompson thread starter macrumors newbie

it doesnt seem to lose alot but i'll test it tonight, i'll leave it all night and see how is its lost alot in the morning

4. greenleaf macrumors member

yea its normal for it to lose some battery...i think that if you leave it alone for about a month its completely dead but thats what one of my friends told me so dont know if it even loses that much

5. vgurl macrumors newbie

My iPod loses battery life when it's not powered on as well. And if i leave it off for a long period of time, when I power it back on, I get the Apple logo before it shows me the menu. And I've noticed that the battery icon slowly will increase to show an accurate read of my battery.

6. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

The ipod will use a little bit of battery to keep itself in a type of sleep mode, so it starts right up and is ready to go (no apple logo, just straight to the music). But when it is off for some time, to keep itself from using up too much battery, it will turn off completely (when you start it up, the apple logo shows and you have to wait for the ipod to boot to start playing music). Sometimes when the iPod is fully charged, but starting after sitting around for a little bit, it will show its battery as being fully drained, but after some use, the bar will fill up and show the correct amount of charge.

7. nick_thompson thread starter macrumors newbie

well i tested how much power it loses last night. My ipod has lost all power in 11hours on sleep mode. but i have turnt it on and plugged my speakers into it and it is playing fine even though the battery icon shows there is no power. Im goin to leave it and see if the battery icon fills up like some of you have said happens to yours. i will keep u informed.

8. nick_thompson thread starter macrumors newbie

well, i have left my ipod on, and it has turnt off after 30mins. so it did have no power. Should i ring apple?

9. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

i'm pretty disgusted with the battery life of my 3rd gen... i'd give apple a call. cant hurt anything. you ought to be satisfied with your product for what those darn things cost :p

10. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

I would, it should not drain the battery when it is off. Yours is probably defective. Might also want to Restore the iPod, see if there is just a software glitch that is not turning your iPod off fully during the night.

11. nick_thompson thread starter macrumors newbie

I rang apple. They said i should drain my ipod and charge it twice and then it should be ok, but if it still isnt lasting aslong as i want it to then i should ring them again. Thanks for all your advice.

12. sinisterdesign macrumors 6502

sinisterdesign

good luck w/ their fix. hopefully that will take care of it. there's NO reason it should lose that much battery life so quickly. if it continues, it's busted. i've had 2 and even the old one didn't lose juice that quickly and it used those old batteries that wore out after a while.

also, i'm not normally into correcting someone's english (mine's not great), but you've gotta' stop using the word "turnt"... :p