probs upgrading from 9.2.2.to x...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by shmengie, Aug 6, 2004.

1. shmengie macrumors newbie

howdy. i have a dv400 slot-loading iMac that i've been trying to upgrade from os9 to osx. here's the prob...

even though i let the installer check the media and it always proceeds with the install (i assume that means that the media is okay), it craps out at 78%. the buttons all get (semi-)random characters (for examble, the number 4)and the text of the dialog itself changes to numbers, something like "2222222" (without the quotes). it then spits out the disc (number 1) and i'm dead.

i've run the hardware test disk in both quick and full modes, and again, no problems detected.

i am so open to ideas...

tia.

2. seamuskrat macrumors 6502a

seamuskrat

It sounds like the media of the instal DVD. It could also be bad RAM in the mac.

Try a few things.
    1. Clean disk well
    2. Reset PRAM (zap the PRAM) option-apple-P-R at startup until you heard the chime
    3. Boot from DVD and reinstall
    I presume its a legit factory copy and not a P2P downloaded copy. If it is, often those can be corrpupted.

Try those ideas and see if it helps any.

3. shmengie thread starter macrumors newbie

thx, seamuskrat. i tried both of your suggestions. the only difference this time was that it only got to 72% instead of 78%. i don't find that telling at all.

as for the discs themselves: they are archival copies made from the 3 cd (not dvd) factory set and are for testing purposes only. (did i cover that well enough?)

ya know, i think i'm just gonna live with 9.2.2 for now and get a new mac anyways. although...i am still open to suggestions in the meantime.

thx again.

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Did you update the firmware? This is critical to installing OSX on bubble iMacs.

5. seamuskrat macrumors 6502a

seamuskrat

Well, it couls still be the RAM on the iMac. or bad disks.
    Since they are copies, I would say its 50/50 for bad disks or bad ram. OS X is pretty sensitive to older RAM upgrades.

The firm ware is also a good place to start. Its been a while since I have done this., but in 10.2 it updates the firmware as you install (it tells you to).

Do you have more ram than factory standard in the iMac?

Can you try the original disks?

6. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

Don't rely on it. I've heard of it failing on more than a couple Panther installs and making iMacs into door stops. Run Software Update from OS 9 to avoid any problems.

Since this is burned media that would be where my attention is. If you just drag and drop files from the install disk when making a copy you tend not to have a usable copy.

7. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

If you have more then 128MB of RAM installed, you might to peel that back until you hit 128. I've seen a lot of success installing OSX on older Macs with minimum RAM installed. Naturally you can put back whatever you have in there after it's installed.

8. shmengie thread starter macrumors newbie

thx for the suggestions, everyone. i guess i'm gonna hafta assume that the media is, in fact, corrupted. why then, does the media appear to pass the installer's lengthy verification process? if the media is bad, wouldn't the installer say, 'whoa! bad disk! i can't install from here?'

and yes, i can get the originals. it's just that i'm hesitant to bring them home from work, even if i am only borrowing them.

p.s. after trying yellow's idea to try the install with only 128mb seated, the installer did crap out again, but...this time the dialog box did not become corrupted with crazy characters. that tell anybody anything? as always, thx again.

edit: btw, my firmware was already the latest.

9. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

Not necessarily. It might look good until the computer tries to use it. I had that expereince with an OS 9 install disk once. I had made a copy by dragging and dropping. All the files were read just fine and when I switched my startup disk I had that burned install disk available. It wouldn't boot though. Might be something similar going on here.

10. shmengie thread starter macrumors newbie

gotcha. btw, hockey isn't the best sport...it's the ONLY sport!

11. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says.....your other option is to buy your own *legitimate* copy of the OS....oh yeah!

12. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

I'd generally agree, but September 15th will be here before you know it. I have to be prepared for something else if there is no NHL this year.

Yes, agreeing with Duff Man--buying your own copy is really the best way to go. It'll work and you won't be stealing. I somehow missed that the first time around.

13. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...(OT) but at least we get those couple weeks of the World Cup this year to help ease the withdrawal....oh yeah!

14. shmengie thread starter macrumors newbie

of course, i would buy panther. but not if it's not going to install on my system. that's why i made these test discs.

btw, did you know that apple gives away free copies of panther? just purchase a $2800 g5, and BAM, it's yours! (hmmm...did that sound sarcastic?)

and yes, i know you get discs with an $800 emac. but that's not funny.

i think i'm just gonna try to sell this imac on ebay and put the money towards a new mac. think it's sellable? how much, you think? $200? $300? (dv400, slot-loader; full original os9.1 discs and documentation; toast 5 original disc in original package; 192mb; 10gb; pro mouse and keyboard.

oh yeah, and if there's a lockout this year, i'm gonna be pissed...

15. 7on macrumors 601

7on

$250

OSX will definitely work on it, no need to test it.

16. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...yeah, that iMac still has some life in it and will run 10.3 just fine if you have some uncorrupted install discs. Something to keep in mind - if it is an "extra" computer around the house you can always buy the "family pack" which lets you install the OS on up to 5 computers in the same household (non-commercial use only) for $199 ($279cdn) - a great deal...perhaps something to buy when 10.4 comes out next year....oh yeah!

(...and I too hope sanity prevails and these guys settle their differences and start the hockey season on time.....)

17. King Cobra macrumors 603

That's enough for me. This is the fifth case or so I've read in only the past 30 days in which someone tried to install a "copied" version of Panther onto a computer, or the wrong copy of Panther originally designed for a specific machine. Both scenarios have this in common: Neither is a complete copy of Panther, but a toned down version that prevents you from using it.

Remedy: Search the forums for information as to how to make bootable disks using Toast. Once you've found the solution, try again.