process priority set to high and low?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by steelfist, Sep 18, 2005.

1. steelfist macrumors 6502a

Aug 10, 2005
    the one thing that i love about windows xp is that you can use control alt delete, and set the priority of some programs to low, and improve overall performance.

sometimes, when i play a game, or something it's very choppy. why? because there's another process that eats up a lot of cpu. i don't need it to eat so much cpu and focus on the game that i'm currently playing, for example: when encoding in imovie, i want to set it's priority to lower than normal, and then go play a game like marble blast. it will take longer to encode, but experience is a lot better.

how can i do this in MAC OSX?
  2. AdamR01 macrumors 6502

Feb 2, 2003
    You might be able to do this using the renice command from Type in the command "man renice" from the terminal for more info.
  3. G5Unit macrumors 68020

Apr 3, 2005
    I'm calling the cops
    I have got to admit I do like the control alt delete in XP better then OS X. Just works for me. But when it stops opening after a while then I get pissed
  4. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Feb 1, 2005
    Sounds like Microsoft. They always say that they have tons of features. But they foget to mention that none of them works correctly.

?nyway, there is no way of changing the priority of applications in OS X.
  5. iMeowbot macrumors G3

Aug 30, 2003
    You can use the renice command. There are a few GUI front ends available if you don't care for the terminal, see (search for renice and nice)