Processor at 90 percent in Safari

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ricgnzlzcr, Jul 29, 2006.

1. ricgnzlzcr macrumors 6502a

ricgnzlzcr

Hi. I'm having a problem with safari causing my processor to work at 90 percecnt and the fan goes on. I'm not doing much and have a lot of ram left. I've now opened up firefox and I have no problem. I've never had this happen before with safari. Is there a reason why?

2. reh macrumors 6502a

If it happens for all sites, here's some things to try (work down the list until it's fixed)...
    1. Quit Safari and reopen
    2. Log out and log back in (or as a different user)
    3. Restart your computer
    4. Disable any addons for Safari you have (Saft, PithHelment, SafariStand, etc)
    5. Move the ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Safari.plist file to your desktop
    6. Move the ~/Library/Safari folder to your desktop (warning, this folder contains your history and bookmarks)

3. ricgnzlzcr thread starter macrumors 6502a

ricgnzlzcr

I've tried doing everything except moving the folders. Whenever I try reopening and restarting the fan comes back on after just a couple minutes.

4. nitynate macrumors 6502a

Call Apple and ask em what's going on, usually they can help you by deleting stuff and stuff.

Otherwise, I dont know.

5. reh macrumors 6502a

Perhaps that'd be a good thing to try then.

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

If you really don't want to move the folders, then opening a new user account should have the same effect. Check it to see whether Safari is still being a resource hog. :)