Processor Performance Settings

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by dayloon, Jul 6, 2005.

1. dayloon macrumors 6502

I've noticed in Energy saver settings that my processor performance is set to "Automatic". Would i get any benefit in setting it to "Maximum" ? Are there any drawbacks ?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

What sort of computer? If it's a desktop, I'd just leave it on "highest" but if it's a laptop I'd leave it on "automatic" unless you need a burst of power for a little period of time. :)

That's just a rule of thumb though.

3. Militar macrumors member

Militar

Automatic is fine in most cases since the processor switches to Maximum when under load, and slows down when there is little activity. I really don't think there is a use for Maximum, unless with niced processes, but am not sure enough to comment on that.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

My G5 iMac show a pretty substantial speed increase on the highest settings compared to the automatic settings but I don't know about the rest of the range. I know my G4 iBook doesn't really speed up.

5. dayloon thread starter macrumors 6502

It's one of the new dual 2Ghz Powermac's. Will setting it to maximum shorten the CPU life ?

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Nice.

The only major drawback of jacking it up to the highest settings on a Power Mac would be an increase in fan noise. If that doesn't happen/bother you, go your hardest (please excuse the pun). :p