processor swap question

Discussion in 'iMac' started by compudude86, Mar 19, 2007.

1. compudude86 macrumors newbie

compudude86

i have an iMac bondi blue 233mhz, and the guts of a strawberry 333 tray-load. i have the processor card from the stawberry, is there a possibility that it would fry the bondi if i swapped the processor cards?

2. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

If by "guts" you mean the big metal carrier with the motherboard, hard drive sled, etc, then it would make more sense for you to replace the "guts" of your 233 Bondi with that of the 333 Strawberry entirely.

3. compudude86 thread starter macrumors newbie

compudude86

yeah, i have all that, but i decided against it. i lose the irda, and i want to keep it as original as possible. plus the processor card contacts changed between boards. oh well

4. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

yes, this should work. Both of those machines are of the same generation, both have the processor on a separate daughter card. And since the upgrades that have been available in the past for that generation of iMac don't distinguish between daughter cards for the 233-333 mhz machines, it would appear to just be a straight swap.

Don't forget to take the ram from the 233 mhz card if its got more ram from than the 333 or if the 333 has one of its slots open.