Processor Upgrades

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by samdweck, Oct 6, 2002.

1. samdweck macrumors regular

Processor Upgrades are available for many computers... do you think it can be done on an iMac G4... like I have the 800 mhz, but when they come out with 1.25Ghz next yr probably, I will want that, can it be done? Also, is the G5 upgrade fescible?

Any est. prices?

2. FattyMembrane macrumors 6502a

FattyMembrane

upgrade manufacturers are pretty smart, but it is very hard to make upgrades for machines that were explicitly built as a single board computer. i have not looked at the schematics for the new imac, but the imac line is essentially an all in one laptop design with a monitor built in. there may be a chance for an upgrade somewhere down the line, but it will be very difficult to accomplish (it may require an entire mobo swap which would be tough to engineer and pretty expensive). but hey, if they can make an upgrade for the twentieth anniversary mac, there's hope for anything.

3. samdweck thread starter macrumors regular

lol on the 20th ann mac, I agree.... just hope this happens soon and is under $150 bucks!

4. Fezwick macrumors 6502

20th anniversary mac rules! I got one in my basement along with 9 other old school macs.

5. samdweck thread starter macrumors regular

i think rocks is a bit of an overstatement there! seriously... is it 5 mhz, or 6?

6. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

This is one question only a real 20th any mac user knows, What special incentive did apple through in for Life?

7. Fezwick macrumors 6502

Couldnt tell ya. I said i have a 20th anniversary mac. Didnt say i used it. :)

8. Fezwick macrumors 6502

Its not just the speed. Its the design of it that makes it cool. And it is 200 Mhz, not 5 or 6. :)

9. FattyMembrane macrumors 6502a

FattyMembrane

you make it sound like they have not made one yet.

http://www.sonnettech.com/product/crescendo_l2.html

the cheapest one is $250, but anything to extend the life of such a badass looking computer is worth it. :D

or were you talking about the upgrade for the imac? i hope that they make one for my crt imac, hopefully with a mobility radeon so that i can have quartzextreme, but that's probably wishfull thinking.

10. samdweck thread starter macrumors regular

I was talking iMac Flat Panel G4