Processor Upgrades

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by ColdZero, Jul 18, 2003.

1. macrumors regular

Its time to upgrade my aging Digital Audio 533. I've been looking at 2 upgrades, the OWC 1.46 G4 Single and the Powerlogix Dual 1.2 G4. Does anybody have any experiance with either of these two upgrades? The Dual is 200 bucks more, is it worth it to have 2 processors or have one faster one? Thanks.

2. macrumors 65816

evildead

Dual

I would go dual... but thats me

what do you use it for? Any muliti-threaded applications like Peak, Photoshope, Maya?. OSX will use both CPUs.

3. macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

Re: Processor Upgrades

-ColdZero

Easy answer and Apple said it best "Two brains are better than one" If the difference is $200, go for it.

Is it really possible to place a DP PowerLogix in a Quicksilver that shipped with only one?

If so, ooooooooooooo.

4. macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-Gents

Well, I answered my own question - just the prospect of popping a Dual into my single machine is worth it.

PowerLogix Compatibility Chart

Wiping up drool.

5. macrumors 6502

I just bought the OWC 1.46 single, and I'm pretty happy with it. I even sold the 800mhz CPU that I swapped out for $150, making the total cost of the upgrade only $350.

$350 to move from 800mhz to 1.46ghz seemed like a no-brainer.

6. thread starter macrumors regular

Yea I use it for a lot of encoding that is multithreaded. I think the dual is looking like the better choice right now. The 1.46 seems faster overall, but I think the dual 1.2 would be faster for the things I use it for. I think a new video card is in ....the....cards right now too. A dual 1.2 and radeon would be nice. Thanks again.

7. macrumors 65816

tpjunkie

Definitely go dual. I happen to have the 533 mhz dual processor digital audio G4... your exact computer with an extra processor...its not showing its age at all, in fact it runs most applications better than my 667 mhz powerbook, which is only a year old. The additional processor will make a huge difference that the 200 mhz gap will seem tilted in your favor

8. macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

i can't remember where i heard this, but doesn't upgrading the processor still leave the rest of the stuff behind?

9. thread starter macrumors regular

It does, but seeing as the DDR really didn't help the G4 that much, I'm not too worried about it. I have 0 firewire 800 devices and my pc has digital audio in and out, so I'm covered there. My case isn't as reflective, but thats ok :)

10. macrumors member