Processors

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by Catfish_Man, Jan 7, 2002.

1. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

This is wierd. Currently, there are THREE chips that are either out/confirmed (Sahara, Apollo), or expected (G5), and Apple didn't use any of them. What's going on here?

2. SomeAppleGuy macrumors member

3. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

The Apollo chips probably won't be ready until MacWorld Tokoyo. As for the Sahara chip I would expect those in iBooks at MWNY (they won't put a Sahara G3 in the iMac now).

4. Catfish_Man thread starter macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

Sahara in the iBook...

...would put it at a higher clockspeed than the new iMac. That wouldn't be great for sales, because all the ignorant consumers would be shouting "Why can't we have a 1Ghz G3 like the iBook instead of this crappy 800Mhz G4???".... fools.....

To give the new towers that pretty much have to come out within the next 6 months enough of a performance lead I would expect all dual processor machines. The iMac will never have a DP with the dome case, it's just too small. This makes DPs a good way of distinguishing the two lines, the SP consumer line and the DP pro line.

5. b8rtm8nn macrumors member

I think it is more of comparing the iBook MHz to the TiPB than the new iMac, consumers either buy a desktop or laptop. I am not too familiar with the specs on the Apollo, can it be used for the TiPB? If so, then screw DPs in the Pro Line, just go G5. I do not understand why people are freakin' out by the inconsistantcy of the consumer and Pro lines, just means that the Pro line will change next - but how drastically? Maybe at Quicktime Live (where there are MANY Pro users), maybe in Tokyo. Maybe tomorrow...

; )