Processors

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dazzer21, Dec 7, 2006.

1. dazzer21 macrumors 6502

With these new Intel chips, I see various PCs (laptops especially) being advertised as having 'core duo' processors but still seem to be called "centrino" or whatever. Mac processors don't have names that they are marketed under, other than "core duo", "core 2 duo" etc...

What's the difference?

2. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Not sure but my take all core duo/core 2 duo processors in laptops with the Napa platform carry a centrino duo label whilst upcoming Santa Rosa platform will carry centrino pro label

3. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

To expand on daneoni's point.

Centrino is a marketing name for Intel's chipset systems, not the processors. Core is what they're calling the latest family of processors. So you have a Centrino Duo system with Core 2 Duo processor.

B

4. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

Centrino is actually a mobile computing platform. It is a combo of the processor, chipset, and maybe something else (I read this awhile back, but did not find it so important to commit to memory). You can get the complete description on a search.

5. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

To expand further...

The current "Centrino Duo" platform (known as Napa) consists of a Core 2 Duo processor, the Intel 945 Express chipset, and the Intel 3945 wireless adapter.

Because Apple only uses two of these three components (opting to use the Atheros wireless adapter), their systems are Core 2 Duo, but not Centrino Duo.

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Yeah, but it's a bit fuzzy. Others, like Dell offer systems as Centrino Duo with all three components and then also give you the option of other wireless adapters, without telling you explicitily that the Intel marketing name no longer applies to your box.

B