Producer fired for interrupting "CSI"

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Apple Hobo, Nov 15, 2004.

1. Apple Hobo macrumors 6502a

Apple Hobo

Link

Enjoy.

2. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

So the guy violated CBS' policy for handling this event. It's not a national tragedy that CSI got interrupted. I could see punishing him, but not firing him. CBS needs to get some perspective.

3. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

Apparently the CBS perspective is that interrupting CSI is a more egregious event than, say, using forged documents for a 60 Minutes story. :rolleyes:

4. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

It would appear so. I would not even have CBS programmed into my TV if it weren't for college basketball and NFL football.

5. evoluzione macrumors 68010

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be
    hahahaha, i was bitching to my girlfriend last week about that!!!

i was watching the show (just 'cause i like watching stuff about NYC as i just moved out of there) and in the last five minutes when they wrap everything up and reveal the whole process of the crime etc, they cut to the news break. i wasted almost an hour watching the show for nothing. i mean come on! sure it's news that Arafat died but to interupt the show like that when you're going to mention it the second the show ends anyway. the news was on directly after csi:ny and the first thing that annoying ernie anostos says is "arafat's dead"! not only was the "news flash" pointless, they had a whole graphical intro to it as well, including a 10 second flashy graphical countdown, how sensational!

this has made my day! hahahaha

oh, and has anyone seen csi:ny????? how pathetic is the theme music??? it sounds like baywatch!!!!

6. hawk1646 macrumors newbie

7. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

It's unfortunate, but the producer did go against what had already been pre-arranged, it sounds like. Firing's a little drastic though, they could have at least "demoted" them or something. Who knows. :rolleyes:

8. craigdawg macrumors 6502

NBC broke into Conan O'Brien on the west coast to show what I think was Arafat's funeral procession. It was 12:40AM or so. For some reason that pissed me off, but not bad enough to where I'd want someone to be fired.

9. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

Obviously Arafats death was not as important as a fictional TV prog.

Don't interrupt me with something that may affect the whole world, I'm watching stuff.

10. iGav macrumors G3

I've only seen the episode where they introduced the CSI:NY team in CSI:Miami at the end of the last series, looks good... very good... especially the way it's been shot, desaturated colours etc etc. looking forwad to it hitting Five sometime soon.

I thought they'd have used another song from 'The Who' for CSI:NY in keeping with tradition?

11. evoluzione macrumors 68010

evoluzione

that's not the point i was making. to air the "special news" in the last (most important) few minutes of a show is fine, if it is indeed worth reporting. Arafat's death however, could have waited another 180 seconds....i mean we all knew it was imminent didn't we? not exactly ground breaking or surprising news reporting.

12. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

you make it sound like as if arafat timed his death to be 3 minutes before the end of the show... where do you draw the line? is 5 minutes before the end of the show too long to wait? 10 minutes?

important events can happen at any time. and it was a ground breaking news because there's a big difference between "on the deathbed" and "death" for the leader of one of the most volatile regions of the world. whether he should have been fired or not is a different matter, but it was significant news.

13. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I think the plan was to scroll/crawl the information until the next scheduled news cast. If it hadn't been expected, that is, if it had been an assassination or something, that might have been different, but it had been reported as imminent.

I don't know that it is fair to say that it was something affecting the real world as compared to a fictional show. There is always something going on in the world that is more worthy than the stuff that we watch, but we watch.

The difference between the forged documents and this incident is that there was *probably* more viewer outcry over this than the other, sad to say. But that is due to the viewership of CBS. I told my wife last night as she stopped to watch some news report Dan Rather was giving that I wouldn't trust anything that CBS had to say, period. Not that I have faith in any other newscast either (including Fox). The news is big business, and it is marketed and sold to us as a bill of goods. Not a big fan.

14. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

They did

15. ejb190 macrumors 65816

ejb190

Ummmmm. Baba O' Reilly is by The Who... Of course there is always the Blue Man Group cover, which is really good (It's on The Complex DVD).

16. kettle macrumors 65816

kettle

keeping in mind that there are channels that have 24 hour news, why don't they just let another channel get the viewers.

I think there is such a thing as too much news. I really think there could be health issues with having too much news shoved into a persons brain on such a sensationally over hyped manner. It's really starting to have too much bearing on day to day life. They don't interrupt TV with news of another innocent person being stabbed to death over a wallet and a mobile phone. Personally, I think the innocent being murdered should have more priority in day to day thought than a "Hero Leader" or a "Terrorist".

Nothing sudden was ever going to change at the moment of his death except for another round of superficial argument being based on how pro Israeli or Palestinian the arguer is.

Sack the sensationalistic sicko and lets have some plain dull up to date reporting as opposed to the sudo up to the second drama queen rubbish.

We watch sensationalised fiction when we want to escape, the idea of a news program trying to compete on a sensation level is a little worrying.

(IMO) :)

17. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

It sounds like they are becoming a little more sensitve to these types of incidents. Someone should have been fired in the case of the forged documents. IMHO this was an honest mistake and doesn't call for him to be fired. He should be counseled on CBS policies.

18. kylos macrumors 6502a

kylos

I don't feel the guy should have been fired, even though I think their plan to run a crawl instead of interrupting the show was much more appropriate, especially since arafat was practically dead for about a week anyway. If the Israeli's had done him in on the other hand, now that would have been news.

Personally, I think the person at abc who decided to interrupt the u of m game sat. for VP Cheney's cold-induced trip to the hospital should be sacked. :)

19. evoluzione macrumors 68010

evoluzione

wdlove...it doesn't sound like an honest mistake to me, not everyone in this world is good ya know.

jxyama...my point is, they was no need for it. it wasn't a simple "arafat's dead", it was a ridiculous sensationalist piece of crap, the 10 second cheesy intro, the headline and a brief biography of his life. and once that ended, a few seconds later the news was on anyway! i mean, really, was there any real need for it????? sure a "crawler" would have been better, it could also double as an ad for the imminent news broadcast.

as for that theme, i haven't heard The Who tune other than the iTMS sample, so i don't know what the vocals are like....i'm pretty sure they're not the same, i swear the singer on the csi:ny theme is the guy that did the baywatch theme.

20. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Sadly some of the real reasons would cause this thread to go to the political forum. Needless to say he thought that he was doing the right thing. It's the same reason that Dan Rather came out with the fake documents. The crowd that claims the US is always wrong. It is just a very stong mindset that led for this to occur.

21. evoluzione macrumors 68010

evoluzione

ok, i understand your point now. but why would he have gone ahead with it? did he not "get the memo" about the way to deal with it perhaps?

22. kettle macrumors 65816

kettle

which bit?

Sacking the bloke or not waiting 10 minutes for a show to finish, to tell people something they knew would happen any day now anyway.

Maybe both ways are an over reaction, we don't know the producers track record for stupidity to really measure.

23. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

I have a greater acceptance of this than delaying programs for some damn football game.

I say cut the commercials to keep on schedule.

24. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

The guy didn't have authority make the call. And, who knows, maybe this wasn't his first screw up. There isn't a very large margin of error in this business.

Lethal