Product Cycle: iBook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Purgatory, Aug 28, 2004.

  1. Purgatory macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 28, 2004
    #1
    I'm hoping to have enough money to purchase a 12" iBook in the near future, and it'd only be a temp until I got a job and would be able to buy a nicer PowerBook, but I know I'd probably kick myself if I ended up buying one now and finding newer ones out in the near future, even if it's only supposed to be a temp. I've been hearing how the whole Cram & Jam deal is used to empty the stock of certain Macs to make room for whatever newer model is over the horizon. Does this carry any merit? And how accurate are the production cycles? I mean, is there really a chance of a new iBook coming out in a month?

    As for the "if you can wait, wait; if not, buy it" reply, I'll say this: I can wait if something's over the horizon, because I imagine the upgrade would be worth it. If chances are it won't be out until, say January, then I'll go ahead and get it now.
     
  2. CubaTBird macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Apr 18, 2004
    #2
    well

    i think the next ibook revision will be rather incremental....... meaning a simple speed bump in proc speed, like to 1.33 ghz....... the vid card and cache size would most likely stay the same. :rolleyes:
     
  3. echeck macrumors 68000

    echeck

    Joined:
    Apr 20, 2004
    Location:
    Boise, Idaho
    #3
    I'm certainly no expert on product cycles, but I don't think there's going to be an iBook update anytime soon. Or if there is it's won't be very significant, small speed bump or something.

    I say this because currently the iBook is pretty close in specs to the Powerbook line, and if the iBook gets too close to the Powerbook lineup then where's the incentive to spend the extra money for the Powerbook?

    I think the Pbook will be updated (dual-core, G5, speed bump, whatever) in January, and then in a month or two I think the iBook's will get their update.

    So right now I think we're looking at a minimum of six or seven months before another iBook update, but again, this is just my assumption and I could be way off here.

    I personally just bought a 12" iBook and, just like you, it's a temporary computer until I get a Pbook in January/February, when I'll pass the iBook to my wife.

    So my suggestion would be to go ahead and get yourself an iBook, you won't regret it because it's a great computer.

    Hope this helps!
     
  4. cslewis macrumors 6502a

    cslewis

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2004
    Location:
    40º27.8''N, 75º42.8''W
    #5
    I would buy an iBook now. Go for it- I can't imagine apple updating it this soon.
     
  5. Purgatory thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 28, 2004
    #6
    Okay, thanks guys. I think I'll go ahead with it. :)
     

Share This Page