Product idea

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by trainguy77, Jan 16, 2007.

1. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

I had this idea a couple days ago. I don't know if its been done before but I would love it. I want Logitech or someone like that to make one of these. The idea is I have a mac pro sitting at my desk, but sometimes I want to be sitting on my bed talking on msn. Or sitting close by but not right at my desk. So why not make a device that has a 13" no CPU or anything. But communicates over bluetooth to the system. To remotely control it. This unit would have a mini keyboard and touch pad and a screen. Nothing else. I would want it too be pretty cheap like under $200. What are your guys thoughts?

This could even be a OS independent unit. So it taps into the video out, and the mouse/keyboard. With a small separate box connected to the system. I don't know if it would work but I would love it!

2. NotFound macrumors 6502a

NotFound

People who want that functionality buy laptops- there is not use for it.

3. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Microsoft had a product line along these lines a number of years back. It was a removable LCD display that ran Windows CE, but when docked it had a "real" machine to run on and while remote it ran some version of remote desktop.

Didn't sell.

EDIT: Here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smart_Display

B

4. trainguy77 thread starter macrumors 68040

Well of coarse it didn't sell....$800-900 thats just great. Freezes the host system, full CPU in it but useless by itself. I think the idea may work, the trick is keeping the price down as some of use just want basic usage like MSN when not in front of the computer...and can't afford another machine. Who knows maybe its a bad idea :cool:

5. ahuman7341 macrumors regular

I use a powerbook G3 and VNC to do exactly what your talking about, thats less that $200.

6. Quboid macrumors 6502

Thanks for the thesis bro.:cool:

I'm studying computer engineering, and i was always thinking about bluetooth interent devices, but this is genius.

7. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Don't forget that $800 was in a time when a 15" LCD was easily $400.

You really don't want to be sending around the raw uncompressed video of any size over wireless, which is why remote desktop protocol is such a good idea.

Ultimately, until someone can do better than a used the G3/pentium class notebook this is the best device for your needs. I have high hopes for the progeny of the iPhone.

B

8. MacVault macrumors 65816

Terminal Services & Wireless Thin Client Tablet.

Sounds like you're thinking of something like... Terminal Services & Wireless Thin Client Tablet.

9. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Yeah, that's basically what the "Smart Display" stuff I linked to was about.

The current ViewSonic stuff seems to still be overpriced, since for the same price you can get a basic MacBook which is far more useful...

B

10. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Sun Microsystems tried this with their Sun Ray products. I don't think that there's enough of a price break to where you couldn't just have a laptop and be done with it.