Product Placement

Discussion in 'Community' started by Punani, Oct 13, 2004.

1. Punani macrumors regular

Punani

I was just reading the reviews of Shark Tale and notice that some complain about the rampant product placement (e.g. Coral-Cola, GUP Store, etc.) throughout the movie.

Do you think that there ought to be limits to product placement, not only in children's movies, but in society in general?

I for one think that product placement is getting rather sickening and the level that companies will stoop to just to get their name more ingrained in the minds of the average consumer is a crime in and of itself. I remember the 1998 Olympics where Coca-Cola was criticized for basically stick it's name on every available space. I mean, it's already managed to become a generic trademark, how much deeper does it want to pervade society? Having your TV with a Coca-Cola logo on it?

2. sarae macrumors 6502

I don't think anyone can dictate that movies/tv shows stop with the product placement, if anything I see it happening more frequently in tv shows due to the increasing popularity of tivo and whatnot. I used to like product placement - years ago when it was kind of discreet, it was fun to watch a movie and try and notice the ads - when the characters would obviously be drinking a Coke or a Pepsi, instead of out of a generic "cola" can... but it's definitely getting ridiculous.

Google isn't working for me right now, but I know there's a website out there that's been compiling the product placements in as many movies as they can. Dunno the url off the top of my head, though.

Ads pay the bills, though, and it probably won't work unless ad companies feel that it isn't working. Personally I've never left a movie wanting the featured beverage/whatever, but there were all those people who went out and bought a mini cooper after seeing them in "The Italian Job," so I guess it does work.

3. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

I agree, product placement that is subtle is OK (like someone using a PB or an office filled with eMac's or Mac's. Hard hitting placements irk me like in the Adams Family movie with the Tombstone Pizza billboard behind the girls with the Girl Scout cookie sale.

4. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

But product placement in a animated movie? I haven't seen Shark Tale yet, probably soon though and I'll have to look for it carefully.

I think it crap that they'd do that in an animation.....its one thing to make it more realistic in a movie to surround the characters with things they'd see in real life, but to add products in out of context, especially where its required to 'make' the object, instead of just going to the store and getting a six pack...

Also, animation and animators using make fun of things, spoofs and references without actually using the products themselves.

I might be wrong, but did Pixar ever use product placement in their movies? I don't think so....and in Toy Story II, it was Al's Toy Barn, but it reminded me more like Toys R Us....

Sad...

D

5. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Yes, product placements add a sense of realism to movies. So the product placements in Shark Tale must add a sense of realism to this animated movie. Duh!

6. EminenceGrise macrumors member

Not unless you count the tidal wave of products from the movie itself - the Woody, Buzz action figures, etc...

7. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

Product placement will only go away when it proves to be ineffective. Much like spam. These are social issues we are dealing with and must be determined by society. If enough people stop paying attention to these things then advertisers will have to find a new method to market their products. Until this happens, we will see more of the same. What really bugs me are the commercials they show before the previews. What does it takenow, like 20 minutes to get to the movie?

8. Wyvernspirit macrumors 6502a

Wyvernspirit

I know what you mean. It used to be fun to see the previews, back when it was like two maybe three of them, now I'm lucky if I only sit through 6. Advertizers deffinately know how to kill a good thing with over exposure!

9. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Nah, as far as I'm concerned thats fine....its during the movie that bothers me.

In this case, would you want to go get your kid a Pepsi Buzz Lightyear (Buzz has a big Pepsi sticker on his wings and his leg opens up showing a compartment for his Pepsi cans...)? That would be taken sponsorship too far....

D

10. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

The whole product placement craze really took off with a childrens' movie: the "Reeses' Pieces" scene in E.T. My understanding is that M&Ms wouldn't pay what they wanted, so Reeses' got the nod.

11. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

Reeses didn't pay to get into E.T. - it was written in the script that the alien is eating M & Ms - the studio went to M&M/Mars whose legal department said that they didn't want any alien creature eating their product - they hadn't seen the movie and thought it was going to scare kids away from their products. The studio then approched Reeses with the concept - Reeses got FREE advertising for their product in the movie and moved a TON of product that year. I can only imagine the looks on the faces of the M&M brand managers as they were fired.

Needless to say - product placement has got to go - haven't seen Shark Tale yet but my guess is that it's probably a bit more tongue in cheek than anything else - Coral Cola - c'mon - that's just goofy.

12. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

It doesn't actually bother me too much ina movie like Shark tale, but it bugged the crap out of me to see a Burger King logo in Shrek 2. I know it was supposed to be somewhat funny, but it really brought me out of the movie. They have this whole fairy tale thing going but ruin it with a Burger King logo. The part where they go through the drive thru was great because it was a spoof, putting something new into something old. But it was a fictional place and that made sense with the movie.