(Product)Red Nano 8gb and Nike+

Discussion in 'iPod' started by GimmeSlack12, Mar 28, 2008.

1. macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I'm training for my first ever marathon and keeping track of my distances is not mandatory but interesting to me to track my progress. The Nike+ finally caught my eye once again and I had always resisted it cause I needed a Nano. Solved that problem, got a 2nd Gen Red 8gb Nano on eBay for $80 and now just have to get the Nike+ kit.

I suppose I'll need a shoelace pocket and possibly an armband now too. I use Asics for running. I'm excited about this one.

2. macrumors 65816

iDAG

You need to join the Mac Rumors Nike+ challenges. PM ziwi and he will tell you more about it. We could use some help with a certain challenge. :cool:

3. macrumors 65816

iTeen

so, i am a avid runner, i am a year round X-C/Track runner.
    is it worth getting the Nike+ software and a ipod nano???
    I am currently using the garmin forerunner to log miles.

4. thread starter macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I'm totally down to join the MR Nike+ group. And iTeen from the sounds of it the Nike+ system has made a lot of people really happy. But I'll let you know first hand in a week or so.

5. macrumors 65816

iDAG

Same here dude. :cool: It is worth it but I only use it when I'm not with other team members and during practice, but its great for the weekends and the off season.

6. macrumors 65816

Keep the Forerunner. I'm also run year round... Cross country in the fall, track in the spring, and training for those during the summer and winter. I used a 205 regularly for a year and a half logging over a 1200 miles on the device until last July when I dropped it and it cracked open. The Forerunner is more accurate, provides more information, and requires less to operate. Also, I don't know about your team, but nobody here has ever listened to music during a practice, so that makes carrying a nano for Nike+ and extra burden. I'd rather just have the information on an unusually large watch.

And the Nike+ does make sense for people not associated with a team/training group that listen to music while running.

Here's to hoping the Forerunner 405 coming to stores soon!

[EDIT] It might also make sense if you were debating between whether to get the Forerunner or Nike+. Nike+ will be cheeper even if you also have to buy a nano. But since you have a Forerunner, I think it would be a downgrade to move to Nike+

Perhaps someone can offer a differing opinion.

7. macrumors 65816

iDAG

I rarely ever listen to music when I am running with my iPod nano. The only time I do is if I am on my treadmill. I don't use it all the time as well. When there is no practice on the weekends I use it and there is a few other times that I use the kit. I don't use it that much in the summer because I'm training with my team. This summer I will most likely log over 600 miles and I won't be using the kit most of the time.

8. macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I agree with that assessment. The nike+ is fun because you can join these challenges and such, but it's not close to as accurate as the garmin. And if you're on a team, you're not going to be listening to music (I hope... talk to your teammates!). So no, for a HS or college runner on a team, I wouldn't go with the nike+.