Product Signing on Mac not working

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by arunsm, Jan 25, 2013.

1. macrumors newbie

Jul 10, 2012
    I have created a custom installer using package maker on Mac with minimum
    target set to Mac OS 10.4. When i am doing product signing using productsign
    it gives error as below:-

Terminal Command:
    productsign --sign "Developer ID Installer: XXXXX" "input.pkg" "output.pkg"

productsign: signing product with identity "Developer ID Installer: XXXXX" from keychain /Users/XYZ/Library/Keychains/login.keychain

productsign: adding intermediate certificate "Developer ID Certification Authority"

productsign: error: Can't add contents of input archive to output.

Can anybody tell me why it is giving above error?

2. r0k
    macrumors 68040

Mar 3, 2008
    I saw this earlier and I'm glad a mod moved this to the correct forum. I've had trouble signing my apps. The signing appears to work, but gatekeeper says the apps are from an "unknown developer". I'll probably wind up using a support incident to get past this.

I don't know if it will help in your situation, but googling for your error string returns a thread at stackoverflow with some possible answers.
  3. macrumors 6502a

Jan 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I think the lowest Mac OS X version you can use signing is 10.5. Try changing the minimum target to 10.5 in PackageMaker.

Or flatten the .pkg bundle before signing.
  4. thread starter macrumors newbie

Jul 10, 2012
    Thanks Sayer and r0k for your reply.

But my problem is not solved even now.

The installer package is custom one with an Installer plug-in. This plug-in places some files before installation. But if I set the target to 10.5 from 10.4 or
    flatten the package, the plug-in is not copied to installer which is needed for installer.