Production Average Estimation

Discussion in 'Distributed Computing' started by FritzTheWonderM, Mar 4, 2004.

1. FritzTheWonderM macrumors member

I averaged my production across 6 days and 30 processors and I come up with an average of:

.1 WU per Day per 100 MHz of Mac CPU.

This is with a range of machines from 500MHz G4 up to 1.6GHz G5, your mileage may vary.

2. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Are you running your machines 24/7? I'm running a dual 450 24/7 with a cool down every 7 - 8 days.

3. FritzTheWonderM thread starter macrumors member

Yup 24/7, and many of those machines are stored in under desk cabinets, (enclosed, with minimal venting). No failures or issues, but a G5 can be used as a lovely foot warmer. :D

4. Dros macrumors 6502

wdlove, your signature isn't updating with your points. You are in the 500's now, but it still says 360.

5. Vlade macrumors 6502a

Vlade

With some of the new WU's out, I can believe it, I have a stupid tinker that takes about 3 hours per % I have been crunching on my mac, while my PC got 36 points in about 6 hours from 920 today (man its fast!). With the old gromacs I was getting about a WU every 2 days (733 MHZ), but with 720 that could easily be done in just about a day.

6. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

It was suggested that I only update once a week. So I am trying to follow that direction.

7. Dros macrumors 6502

I see... now I remember that thread. I had mis-remembered that it was possible to have the points updated automatically. If you are changing it manually, then it makes sense to only do it every once in a while.

There are some nice places on the web that will generate a picture with current stats:
    [​IMG]

8. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Why does that work for you and wdlove (I tested) but not for ME???

I put in my name... INTERNAL SERVER ERROR... put in wdlove's name... works fine... wtf?!?!

:mad:

9. Dros macrumors 6502

Your name for folding is Mrmacman, not MrMacman. The first one worked when I replaced my name with yours
    gfx.statgfx.com/old/folding.cgi?&username=Mrmacman&border=0,0,0&custom=255,0,0&label=0,0,0&header=255,0,0&stats=255,0,0&bgcolor=0,0,0&trans=yes&template=fah_original&.jpg
    [​IMG]

10. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Have you figured out how to get this to work in our signature yet MrMacman, my friend? ;) If it would work for us that would be awesome.

11. Dros macrumors 6502

It looks like we can't put images in our signatures (maybe for security reasons, or just to keep the forum clean and easy to read). So it doesn't seem possible.

I think it would be OK to use this in the message itself, but perhaps just in the folding discussions. Although it would help bring in new members. And we need new members to keep ahead of the SAGoons!

wdlove, if you want to put in a picture of your folding stats (the neat thing is that it will update automatically every day, so if people read this message next month it will show your current stats, not the month-old stats), what you have to do is click on the "image" button, then paste this after the "http://"

Code:
    gfx.statgfx.com/old/folding.cgi?&username=wdlove&border=0,0,0&custom=255,0,0&label=0,0,0&header=255,0,0&stats=255,0,0&bgcolor=0,0,0&trans=yes&template=fah_original&.jpg
    it should look like this:

[​IMG]

12. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Thank you for your great efforts, greatly appreciated. I tied several times & got the message that had >500 characters. I decreased information, had to remove Folding message. Then all I got was just what I copied and pasted. I'm very sorry but as MrMacman can attest, I need specific direction. I noticed that all the numbers don't fit into the squares. My problem is that I don't see the "image" button. What I used was the "hyper link." Please be patient with me Dros, thankfully MrMacman was. ;)

13. Dros macrumors 6502

Well, it took me a few tries before I got it right, wdlove, but I could preview the message and see it wasn't working and then try again before submitting. So don't worry, we'll get this figured out!

The image button sound like the crux of the problem. When I post a new message, above the window where you type in the message are some formatting buttons. It sounds like you found the "hyperlink" button already (looks like a globe with a chain below it). The image button is to the left of it. It is rectangular, yellow, and some tiny moutains and a tinier sun inside it.

Don't press it yet... you first want to copy the image code from my previous message. Go to my previous message that had the long hyperlink within it (it should be in a sub-window and start with "gfx.statgfx") and copy the whole thing (I triple-click it so that it is all selected then copy).

Now, you can press the yellow image button. If you press it, it will open a new window with "http://" inside it. Paste the image hyperlink after the "http://" The "image" button is giving the location on the web of the image to be displayed, so when someone is reading your message, it will go to that location and get the image of your folding stats. The nice thing is that the image is made fresh every time, from that days folding stats, so it will always be updated.

Give that a try, wdlove, and I hope it works. If not, I'll be happy to try to help you again.

14. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Ahh of coarse...

silly me.

Basically each time I post in this forum I'm gonna add the '--MrMacMan + my Image'

--MrMacMan
    [​IMG]

:D

15. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Dros it seems that part of my code is missing as compared to MrMacman?

16. Dros macrumors 6502

Something else must be the problem... try this--
    first copy this:

gfx.statgfx.com/old/folding.cgi?&username=wdlove&border=0,0,0&custom=255,0,0&label=0,0,0&header=255,0,0&stats=255,0,0&bgcolor=0,0,0&trans=yes&template=fah_original&.jpg

then press the "image button" and paste the copied code after "http://"

If it doesn't work, can you tell me what happens? Thanks!

17. Dros macrumors 6502

OK, so I should start off with something that relates to the thread...
    FritztheWonderMutt, how does your WU stat translate to points per MHz? Can you compare G3 vs G4 v G5 (probably not bothering with G3)?

I tried out some WUs on a 600 MHz G3 and it takes more than 1 hour per % on Gromacs or 1 hour per frame on TInker. On a 800 MHz G4 it takes 12-15 minutes per % with Gromacs. On a Athlon 1.8 GHz (I think), it is just under 10 minutes per %.

MrMacMan, since it is your birthday I decided not to pass you in the folding rankings! I didn't realize we were so close!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and wdlove, it seems to work, so give it a try if you feel like it!
    [​IMG]

18. FritzTheWonderM thread starter macrumors member

Since people are always asking how they can estimate their production I figured a broad estimate would be a good guide, so:

286 WU / 10 days / 25500 MHz Total CPU = .1 WU/Day/100Mhz

A bit higher for the G5s but I haven't broken it down by processor...anybody with an all G5 farm?

19. jbeetz macrumors member

You have to be a bit careful about benching WUs because they vary so much in the time it takes to complete them. For instance, a tinker can take my 2GHz G5 40 hours, whereas a simple gromac has run in just over 3. To some extent the points earned are more closely tied to computer performance... Stanford as I understand it, assigns point values based on how long it takes to process the work unit on their reference 500MHz celeron machine. Still not always an airtight estimate, since genome units score very poorly for members of folding teams, but probably closer.

20. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

Yeah, I have an all G5 renderfarm: one dual 1.8 G5 :D

21. Dros macrumors 6502

That is performing really well. You are getting 1000+ points a week. It does make it seem like a membership drive could pay off if all the people that bought G5s put 1 processor on folding. 100 people x 500 points per week = 50,000 points per week extra!

Can we hold off the SAGoons? It seems like other teams manage to rise up when another team threatens. Don't know if we can pull that off.

22. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Dros I appreciate your continue help and patience. I tried to paste it in my signature, it didn't work. I wonder if we have the same view.

All that I can find in my signature changes is B I U align left, align center, align right, hyperlink, X2 wrap tags

When I reply to a thread then the yellow "image insert" is available. It looks like a yellow post card with a stamp in the upper right hand corner and 2 triangles at the bottom.

23. Dros macrumors 6502

Oh... it does seem like you cannot post an image in your signature. So I was thinking it would be OK, if maybe a little too much effort, to put the stats picture in any message we post in the folding forum.

Sorry for the confusion. I didn't realize you were looking at the signature area and I was looking at the reply area. FritztheWonderMutt has a link to the picture in his signature, but you have to click it to see the actual image (see his message above).

And now, in honor of my passing MrMacman, I will display my stats (updated tomorrow). Keep the folding going MrMacman, and catch me if you can!
    :)
    [​IMG]

24. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

That's OK Dros I'm just glad to know that I wasn't missing. The thought did cross my mind that it was only possible in a post. We can only hope that it will work in the future.

25. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

:(

Nope I am screwed.

I have one machine.

My efforts to get the machines in my school to run it have been futile and have been ignored.

I was once in the top 100's... now I am about to be pushed to under 175th place.

I lose. :( :(

gah... Me = Pwned by other teammates...

[​IMG]