Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple Corps

macrumors 68030
Apr 26, 2003
California
A beating that is mainly the analysts talking smack. Not actual sales etc[/QUOTE]

No doubt that some analysts are talking smack - but the drop has been severe (40%) and now prolonged (7 months) - this looks and feels like something waaaay beyond the short term pump & dump cycle.

Also, Apple is providing plenty of issues that make it too easy to talk that smack.

Maybe, just maybe, it is not all smack...

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
Considering the 5S isn't likely to be a whole lot different from the 5, I wonder if these "production challenges" are in fact yield issues with the A7 and TSMC

Antares

macrumors 68000
As someone who's just jumped ship from the iPhone to an AWESOME Nokia Lumia 820, the reason why I did was predominantly for a larger screen (and more exciting OS, wireless charging, better display IMO).

Why do people want a larger screen ... well go hold a Lumia or S3 and see for yourself, or try using one for a few days then go back to a tiny 4" iPhone 5. As for size, even an S3 isn't that much bigger than an iPhone; and it's thin and light so fitting it in a pocket or holding it is NOT an issue. Your opinion is one thing, but to a LOT of others, other brands are looking far more enticing and it's one reason why Apple need to get their **** together quick because their market share is totally wiped out!

I did. That's how I formed my opinion. I don't like the larger size of the of bigger screen phones. I just don't get the appeal of the larger screens...and larger bodies of the phones. We went from our phones getting smaller and smaller to now people wanting larger and larger phones. FYI: I don't actually use an iPhone. I use a Galaxy S...for now.

I say, keep the phone a smaller, comfortable size and make the screen edge to edge. But I don't want to have to get a larger phone just to get the larger screen. The S3 is too long and wide. The only thing it has going for it is that the side bezels are smaller.

I don't think I've tried a Lumia. But Samsung and Apple have been good to me. So, I pretty much stick with those brands.

----------

And this is all your opinion, not shared by many people. Don't make it a fact.

Who said it was anything but opinion? Many people agree with me, many don't. :confused: I've used the larger screen phones and just don't get the appeal. They are not comfortable in my hand or pocket. Hence, why I was asking. Kind of like the people who put those 24 inch rims on small cars. I don't get it. But rims or phones, people are free to buy what ever size they like. I'm just wondering why they appeal to other people...

FYI: I use a Galaxy S...which has the perfect screen size for me...just wish it was as thin as an iPhone 5 or S3.

Last edited:

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
Even if Production of 5s is okay, I think it's safe to assume 5S WILL NOT be released in the summer, simply because T-Mo just got the 5.

Remember when Apple delayed the 4s to October 2011 since Verizon got the 4 in Feb of that year?

Apple delaying the 4s had NOTHING to do with Verizon.

Doesn't matter to Apple, they will release the 5S when it's ready.

Bubba Satori

Suspended
Feb 15, 2008
B'ham
Macbook Air refreshing - Delayed
WWDC - Delayed
iSpaceShip - Delayed
iRadio Service - Delayed

Anything else?

Mac Pro - delayed
Logic - delayed
iWork - delayed
Aperture - delayed
non-beta version of the next OSX delayed...

Logistics genius.

Tim-Cook-shakes-hands-with-the-Chinese-VP-en-route-to-the-Foxconn-facilities.jpg

He also presided over the single largest destruction of shareholder value in American history.
$250 Billion wiped out in a few months.

Nahaz

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2010
Australia
If the 5s is exactly like the current model with just a fingerprint sensor then I'll be giving this phone the finger like I did with the taller iPhone 5

Bring on iPhone 6 with iOS 7 with 4.7 inch screen, NFC, New wireless standard, and shape it like the iPad Mini bevel.

You may get my attention with some of these changes.

StoneJack

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2009
Mac Pro - delayed
Logic - delayed
iWork - delayed
Aperture - delayed

Logistics genius.

He also presided over the single largest destruction of shareholder value in American history.

And over most profitable quarters in history of Apple.
As far as profits are high as now, the stock value has nothing to do with CEO, its a result of pure speculation. Apple is right to not react to that *****. As profits soar, so will valuation of company. Its called market economy.

Bubba Satori

Suspended
Feb 15, 2008
B'ham
I guess go buy an Android phone if Apple is boring you so much...

Seriously, that's all you could up with to reply to a constructive criticism of a customer that is disapointed with Apple?

Pride and arrogance are siblings and goeth before a fall, hand in hand.

Sometimes it exhibits iself in a strange, delusional, symbiosis between
companies who join with their most fanatic devotees in believing they can do no wrong
and that those who raise objections should just go away because
they are so brilliant and successful that they don't need unbelievers business.

StoneJack

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2009
If the 5s is exactly like the current model with just a fingerprint sensor then I'll be giving this phone the finger like I did with the taller iPhone 5

Bring on iPhone 6 with iOS 7 with 4.7 inch screen, NFC, New wireless standard, and shape it like the iPad Mini bevel.

You may get my attention with some of these changes.

I think people with iP5 would in general react similarly. I also bought iP5 just few months ago, and even if Apple releases a crazy nice superphone, I am not in mood to upgrade after shilling hundreds of dollars on current model (no contract, unlocked). Therefore, my target is 2014.

----------

• Mac Pro - Delayed (for years)
  • iTunes 11 - Was Delayed
  • iOS 7 - Delayed
  • iPhone 5S - Delayed
  • Retina iPad Mini - Delayed
  • Low-Cost iPhone - Delayed

Anything else I'm forgetting?

I think that Apple taking a pause is a good thing. No need to rush those things, except Mac Pro. But its called all out attack. June and second half of the year is going to be a real thrill!

Premium1

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2013
I'm surprised that Apple has done nothing in the past 4 months and that there's no expectation for them to do anything for the next two months.

Don't they normally do something - anything - in the first half of the year? Like release a new iPad? Or reveal the iPhone or Apple TV? Or a new iOS SDK or new version of OS X?

Well usually yeah they do but this year they released the new ipad earlier than normal to get everyone on the lightning connectors so hence why the longer wait this year for something new.

Apple Corps

macrumors 68030
Apr 26, 2003
California
Mac Pro - delayed
Logic - delayed
iWork - delayed
Aperture - delayed

Logistics genius.

Bubba - spot on, Tim Cook is so in over his head. Arthur Levinson commented a month ago that his main role is hiring and firing the CEO. Time to get on with the second part of his role.

Tim Cook needs to be replaced.

----------

And over most profitable quarters in history of Apple.
As far as profits are high as now, the stock value has nothing to do with CEO, its a result of pure speculation. Apple is right to not react to that *****. As profits soar, so will valuation of company. Its called market economy.

No, it has a lot to do with the CEO - it is called performance. His lack of performance is becoming so apparent as time goes on. The profitable quarters you refer to were raking in the trajectory that Steve had in place. Now, 18 months after Steve's passing, we are seeing what Tim Cook is - an empty suit and stellar example of the Peter Principle.

Apologies, excuses, poor launches, etc. - they have been outlined here many times - that feeds the market that has soured on Apple.

The CEO LEADS, sets the tone, vision, anticipates,and manages expectations.

Kwill

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2003
What to do with the spare time? I dunno, we got this old Mac Pro lying around. Maybe we can release an major overhaul to generate sales for the quarter.

tharitm

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2009
Seems plausible. iPhone isn't coming out July for sure because when iOS is announced in WWDC it goes through testing phases which lasts till September so if the iPhone is released in July that means it'll come with iOS 7 without public beta testing.

I would honestly love to see the 5S soon but the thing is that judging by the history we may to wait another 4-5 months.

mobilebuddha

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2008
Get it through your thick skull, Apple management, Tim Cook, etc:

I don't want cheaper iPhones, I want BIGGER iPhones. Charge me extra, but make it bigger and make it shiny.. AND TAKE MY MONEY!

Manicmonday

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2013
I heard from my very good source that the iPhone 7 is delayed by 6 months. Foxconn wants to find out if it will be raining on January 1st, 2014 before they begin production. Rumors say it will be snowing, and people familiar with the matter told my source that we might have to wait a few more months :(

Gigaman

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2011
I am quite glad Apple is falling behind actually. It will give android an opportunity to shine and eventually lead apple to see how much they have fallen behind in innovation and simply keeping up with the times.

I don't know about many of you, but I have been getting really bored of my iPhone 5 and my iPad 2. I constantly think about which other iOS device would be a good complement to my life, but I can't help but be reminded that everything else does the exact same thing. iPad 4 is heavier, retina display doesn't really mean that much to me. iPad mini is nice, but the outdated processor just turns me off. Already the A5 is starting to lag a little in my iPad 2.

Call me iSheep, but here I am with money to throw at Apple but really nothing to buy. The worst is when I think about their upcoming products. Delayed? Same form factor? Similar designs? Marginal changes in iOS 7? I know I might end up buying them still, but for the first time in 4 years, in the month of April, I am not really feeling the excitement of things to come from Apple in the year ahead. Honestly, even the rumours looks boring.

But hey, at least Google I/O is coming up.

Falling behind in what? What innovation has android presented recently and how have iOS devices not been up to date?

Unless you're talking about live wallpapers, NFC and other impractical toys you can brag about on the playground, by all means- switch to android already.

chadley_chad

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2004
Nottingham, UK
I did. That's how I formed my opinion. I don't like the larger size of the of bigger screen phones. I just don't get the appeal of the larger screens...and larger bodies of the phones. We went from our phones getting smaller and smaller to now people wanting larger and larger phones. FYI: I don't actually use an iPhone. I use a Galaxy S...for now.

I say, keep the phone a smaller, comfortable size and make the screen edge to edge. But I don't want to have to get a larger phone just to get the larger screen. The S3 is too long and wide. The only thing it has going for it is that the side bezels are smaller.

I don't think I've tried a Lumia. But Samsung and Apple have been good to me. So, I pretty much stick with those brands.

----------

Who said it was anything but opinion? Many people agree with me, many don't. :confused: I've used the larger screen phones and just don't get the appeal. They are not comfortable in my hand or pocket. Hence, why I was asking. Kind of like the people who put those 24 inch rims on small cars. I don't get it. But rims or phones, people are free to buy what ever size they like. I'm just wondering why they appeal to other people...

FYI: I use a Galaxy S...which has the perfect screen size for me...just wish it was as thin as an iPhone 5 or S3.

Just proves some like small screens, some like large; but I'm willing to bet MOST (if polled) would prefer an Apple with a screen like the SG3 ... although the iPhones current 'square' build design wouldn't make it a nice design to hold like the equivalent Samsung. You know, each time I see the lovely smooth iPhone 3, I realise Apple got the design wrong with the boring 4 and 5 models (and its one reason why I love holding the Nokia Lumia 820 ... smooth and rounded ... very nice!)

chadley_chad

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2004
Nottingham, UK
They're in there making sure they have their ducks lined up so they don't end up with any issues, surprises, or bad publicity. They have their act together, which is why we aren't seeing them announce something before it's ready. I think the rumors of the delay in iOS/OS X are making that clear. When it's ready, the results will be more than half decent (you can come back later and make fun of me if I'm wrong). As for jumping ship... with many different manufacturers churning out different Android phones each year, there will always be "something new" or at least a modification to a similar theme. For those who constantly need something new or different, they may be better off with Android. It doesn't make sense for Apple to start releasing a slew of different products to cater to every aspect of every market or desire. It's not in their DNA.

The thing is though, when the originally named iPhone 5S DOES come out, I'm quite sure I WILL be back making fun of you; and likewise, Apples biggest issue at the moment is precisely that ... WHEN it does come out! You'd have thought that with all the money and resources Apple have, they'd not be playing catch-up with other manufacturers, but leaps and bounds ahead! Reason why they're not - too much resting on their laurels and not enough organisation!

As for you saying they're taking taking their time to avoid any 'issues' - that hasn't been the case of late has it (of late being ever since attenna-gate). Avoiding issues is good but common, and whilst they're fannying around with colours and cases, the competition are taking market share. I also laugh because I know all those who call the Galaxy for its flimsy back will be laughing on the other side of their face when Apples cheap model comes out (but might I add, probably without removable battery, wireless charging and SD card support like all else).

Guess we'll see one day (but not soon at this rate!)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.