Production of 13-Inch Retina MacBook Pro and Updated iMacs Reportedly Ramping Up

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 10, 2012.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Late last month, NPD DisplaySearch analyst Richard Shim reported that suppliers had begun production on 2560x1600 display panels destined for a 13-inch Retina MacBook Pro. The machine has been rumored to be launching in October.

[​IMG]
    Digitimes now reports that full production on the 13-inch Retina MacBook Pro is underway with shipments from Apple's supply chain beginning to ramp up ahead of a claimed September or October launch. The report also claims that production on updated iMac models is ramping up, although the company has been experiencing difficulties with its high-end models.
    Digitimes' track record has been unreliable, but it does sometimes offer correct information and considering its claims in the context of other reports can frequently offer guidance on the reliability of any specific rumor. Many of its new claims do line up with a previous report from KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo pointing to mid-September readiness for updated 21.5-inch iMacs while updated 27-inch iMacs remain on hold until late October due to issues with display production.

If Apple is indeed experiencing difficulties with a new display assembly on the larger 27-inch iMac models, it is unclear how the company will handle a launch. It appears unlikely that Apple would debut updated versions of the 21.5-inch models without new 27-inch models also appearing, so it seems that Apple will announce both models at the same time. Given that assumption, Apple could either introduce the new models at an earlier timeframe with availability of the 27-inch models delayed somewhat, or simply hold the 21.5-inch models until the 27-inch models are ready and the company can announce immediate availability of an entirely-updated iMac lineup.

Article Link: Production of 13-Inch Retina MacBook Pro and Updated iMacs Reportedly Ramping Up

2. macrumors 68020

applesith

A new iMac design would be awesome!

Current design is fantastic, but new Apple design is ALWAYS welcome! :D

3. Johnf1285, Sep 10, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2012

macrumors 6502a

Johnf1285

Didn't the 17" MacBook Pro see a unibody design after the 13" and 15" models?

Edit - 13" and 15" unibody MacBook Pro's came out in October 2008, with the 17" trailing behind, coming out in January 2009

Could we experience a similar scenario in which smaller, redesigned models release first, then the larger model releases later?

4. macrumors newbie

This will change everything...again.

5. macrumors 6502a

faaakkkkk!!!! i want a new imac !!!! 27inch

6. macrumors 6502a

I want to see what the 13" rMBP can do.

7. macrumors 6502a

I hear digitimes is highly reliable.

Jk. At least it's Mac news!

8. macrumors member

iSengKin

Me want the new 27" iMac!!! Apple, make my wish come true! ^_^

9. macrumors member

So bottom line is still nobody knows what the hell is going on. Will we see a 21'' ? a 27''? sept? oct?... I'm dying for a new imac but at this point, ill believe it when i see it.

10. macrumors 6502a

Hasn't Apple dumped the 17 inch? If they have I very much doubt they'll bring it back.

I know some people liked them but a 17 inch laptop just isn't portable if you ask me.

I don't need a new Macbook yet but I would certainly consider a 13 inch retina Macbook Pro if the price is right. Now

11. macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

I can see them releasing 21.5" models and waiting for the 27" models. Jobs had no issue saying the White iPhone wasn't ready yet when they annouced the iPhone 4. Then again that product launch was probably harder to reschedule... but they did introduce new MacBook/PowerBooks a few times with only a few models being available. Like the original 15" MacBook Pro debuted in January 2006 with the 17" model following in April of 2006.

But maybe I'm just bias since my brother has been bugging me for months on when he should buy an iMac and I want the questions to stop :p

12. macrumors 65816

Color and size are two different things...

13. macrumors regular

TL;DR: the iMac we want is not ready yet. .-.

14. macrumors 6502a

A 27" iMac with the chin removed is just what I want. A new display or higher resolution is a big plus too.

15. macrumors 6502a

I think I'm gonna go and buy the current model. I really don't want a retina panelled iMac, would be such a waste of resources, especially for me. It really didn't wow me the retina MBP as long as its free from dead pixels, relatively bright and colourful a current iMac display is more than adequate.

16. macrumors 65816

Xenomorph

I was hoping for a 24" iMac.

17. macrumors 601

goobot

I really hope the 13 rmbp has quad core and 4 gigs I ram. If it doesn't I don't know what to say.

18. MRU
    macrumors demi-god

MRU

By commenting you give credence to his juvenility ... Just use the report button and a mod will come along and despatch the irrelevant post.

Back on topic, so are we now assuming that the 27" will feature a 'retina' display ? or just another kind of display ? Surely something like 5120x2880 would require huge graphical power boost ?

19. macrumors member

It does say three new models so in thoery they could do the 2 updated 27" iMacs pretty soon and the top end (Probably Retina) would be the delayed one. This would make snece as there is a problem with the panel etc...

Hopefully that is the case as I am not fussed about retina as I think the screen is ok now and retina will cost a fortune I would guess...

20. macrumors regular

This. I have a 23" monitor at home. I think 23 or 24" iMac would be a nice mid-range screen size. 21.5" is a little smaller than I'd like, and 27" is too big for me.

21. macrumors 68000

azentropy

I'm interested in both these releases. However my interest in the 13" rMBP will disappear if there is not a Quad Core option and if it doesn't have a dedicated GPU. Just not enough benefit going to a rMBP for just a bit thinner, lighter and a better display while losing built in gb ethernet, FW800, user upgradability etc.

Hoping the new iMacs really has improved anti-glare qualities that have been rumored. If not then that won't be an viable option for me either.

22. macrumors 65816

21.5/27/30 or 32?

23. macrumors member

I really hope that if/when a 13-inch rMBP is released that it doesn't replace the current one. I just got mine!

24. macrumors 6502a

DrJohnnyN

Awesome! Can't wait!
    Any guesses on price?
    Looking to buy a couple of 13" rMBPs for family.

25. macrumors 6502

Agreed, same here. I bought my iMac about a month ago, couldn't be happier.

I do look forward to seeing the new chassis design, if the reports are correct; but this iMac is my first Mac of any kind and it will serve me well. I'll consider a retina display in a couple of years when webpages actually support the higher resolution. Not to mention apps, software, etc etc

Side note, I'm really thinking more and more that the "5" shadow on the iPhone announcement means more than just the iPhone 5. I'm really leaning toward there being 5 product announcements, the rMBP 13 and iPhone being 2 of them...