Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

apple-tv-4th-gen-250x222.jpg
Apple will begin trial production of a fifth-generation Apple TV in December 2015, with supplier Quanta Computer ramping up volume production in the first quarter of 2016, according to Taiwanese website DigiTimes.

The report, citing "sources from Taiwan-based supply chain makers," claims the next-generation Apple TV will feature a new CPU that will "dramatically improve the device's hardware performance."

Apple will also reportedly adopt a "heat-dissipation solution" in the streaming box to handle the faster CPU, but it remains unclear how that would differentiate from the large heat sink in the fourth-generation Apple TV. The report adds the next Apple TV will also gain unspecified "new functions."

The report does not provide a release timeframe for the fifth-generation Apple TV, but it is unlikely to be soon given that Apple just released the fourth-generation Apple TV in late October. Apple beginning volume production in early 2016 would seemingly make a mid- to late-2016 launch possible.

DigiTimes has a mixed track record at reporting on Apple's upcoming product plans, so this rumor should be treated with caution until or unless other reports substantiate these claims in the weeks and months ahead.

Article Link: Production of Faster Apple TV 5 Rumored to Begin in Early 2016

Reactions: Vanilla35

phillytim

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
It's it a little crazy, based on the past release track record of Apple TVs (which are years and years between releases), that we'd get any new Apple TV in 2016? 2017, maybe; but this seems a bit premature.

Does anyone with the ATv4 think that it needs to be faster???

rjjacobson

macrumors demi-god
Sep 12, 2014
Well they need to fix the software first. Big issue is the skipping, pausing and stalling of many/most of my home share movies. I do not want to run the movies via itunes and my internet service all the time that is not the solution. It is not all on the cloud and internet, I have a large old Mac Pro serving my videos and having them stored locally. I am sure this is premature but tvOS needs major overall. Many are reporting this issue see the forum on apple TV and look for buffering issues.

freediverx

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2006
Will have 4k.

If it's released in 2016, I doubt the next Apple TV will support 4K.
All the factors working against wider 4K adoption today will remain in place in 2016...
  • 4K resolution requires a very large (80"+) screen or very close viewing distance to be appreciated
  • Most people don't own or have the space for an 80"+ TV
  • Mot people don't want to view a 60" TV from 5 feet away
  • Most Americans don't have sufficient bandwidth to stream 4K video at good bitrates w/o terrible compression
  • Major ISPs in the US are imposing data caps that would make streaming 4K video prohibitively expensive for most
  • Very little content is currently available in 4K

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.