products to protect PB screen when PB is closed?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by hkala, Apr 1, 2005.

1. hkala macrumors member

i have the Marware "thing" that lays over the keyboard when i close my PB but was wondering if i should get a cover that covers the whole screen ie: keyboard and trackpad???

2. FrankieShakes macrumors member

3. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

I always just used a (clean) hankerchief with my iBook. Not very high tech, but I was in Siberia once I realized that there could be problems with the keys and such rubbing the screen when the laptop is closed and didn't have access to a whole variety of solutions. The hankerchief worked fine.

4. panphage macrumors 6502

i use the Radtech thing linked above. Great cuz it's a gentle lint-free cloth for cleaning the screen as well.

5. hkala thread starter macrumors member

so i should upgrade to something that covers the whole screen?

6. Pismo macrumors 6502

Pismo

7. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

The RadTech ScreenSavrz is a great product. Useful to both protect and clean your display. It does not quite cover the entire display, but it does cover the entire keyboard and trackpad area, which is where the dirt and oil deposits are likely to be.
    I also have their PowerSleevz for my 15" PB, but I'm a little anal about my kit.

8. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

I have an STM Keyboard Cover

It's very durable and protects far better than any other I've seen on the market.

9. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

Radtech ScreensavRz works well for my 12" PB. I was able to close PB with iSkin on the keyboard and ScreensavRz on it. I had a Marware screen protector; but it was too thick to use. I think iSkin and ScreensavRz would be a good combo when you are on the road.

10. zagato27 macrumors 65816

zagato27

I bought my wife a 14" iBook and got her the RadTech screensaver. Pretty neat stuff. Just wish I could get her to use the darn thing :rolleyes: Cheers

11. quackattack macrumors 6502a

quackattack

Another vote for Radtech, its what I use. Works great.

12. anotherjeff macrumors regular

anotherjeff

I had the marware too, didn't like it, too thick and didn't cover the whole screen. I am very happy with my Screensavrz, no more fingerprints on my screen and it's good for wiping the dust off of it.

13. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

What's the point of covering the entire screen when you close it? I would think the major issue is protecting your screen from the keyboard?

14. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

When your PowerBook is new... that foam thingy?

Works wonders.

15. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

Hmm... I've used the Radtech Screensaverz, had two of em, they are great cloths but you have to center them just right, and they don't cover the whole screen.

I just bought an Acme iCover; don't have it yet, but it looks like a perfect solution!

16. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

Radtech ScreensavRs is large enough to cover most of the screen real estate. It is also good to cover the track pad button (it is raised from PB's chassis) as you are also touching that button along with the keyboard.

17. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

I am not sure how durable that thing is as it is just a thin styrofoarm pad. If you on the road and keeping the screen protector in the bag, those folding and unfolding will take tolls on that styroform sheet. But, I am keeping it in the original PB packaging just in case (it comes in handy when I move to a new place and need to put my notebooks in that original boxes for a safe and sound move).

18. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

Another vote for Radtech ScreensavRz. Have had my Powerbook since 14th Feb and my screen is mint, not a single mark. I haven't had to clean the screen since I got the PB, and it's soft enough to lightly wipe over the screen to disperse the dust.

19. jknight8907 macrumors 6502a

jknight8907

As for the styrofoam thingamajig, if you have a sleeve, just put the styrofoam back in the case/sleeve when you take out your PB, that way it stays flat and lasts longer.

20. Ambrose Chapel macrumors 65816

Ambrose Chapel

i use a plain piece of 8.5x11 paper for my TiBook. works fine
    :)

21. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

My aunt has the original 17" PowerBook. Original foam thingy, too. Still works!

22. Undecided macrumors 6502a

Is this still an issue? I thought apple addressed this and that the new(er) powerbooks no longer have the keys touching the screen.

23. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

Not as much as it used to be, and you may not even notice with gentle use. There's not much Apple can do; this is just one of the consequences of slim laptop design.

24. Balin64 macrumors 6502a

Balin64

I second Mechcoszmo's idea

The first iBooks had the problem where the keys would actually sully your screen. I hated that. The 800 Mhz and the Rev A 12" PB fixed that. Personally, I see no need to "protect" your screen nowadays.

25. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Hence why I suggested that free thing if you want to. I don't, personally. :D