Products with Poor Macintosh Support

Discussion in 'Community' started by Gymnut, Sep 18, 2003.

1. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

I just had an irritating experience with the manufacturer of my router, Linksys. Their Macintosh support whether it be on their lackluster site or their hastily put together half-assed manual left me fuming. It almost made me wish Apple made their own router units, or even better, had one built in!
    I just cannot believe that after all these years, Macintosh users are still getting the short end of the stick in terms of product support. Do we not pay the same, if not more than our PC counterparts for products that claim to be dual platform?
    Just wanted to vent and hopefully others will share their own horror stories in regards to lacking support for third party products that claim and do work(with much irritation and frustration) with Apple computers. I for one will never purchase anything made by Linksys. In fact, I hope Apple buys them out, being the piss poor company they are.

2. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

linksys is pretty straightforward about their routers and other hardware having no official mac support.

That said, they are insanely easy to set up on a mac (or linux, or any other OS) and work perfectly. In fact, its easier on a mac than in windows, even without detailed instructions.

I can whole heatedly recommend linksys routers. I've used three of them with no problem.

Apple isn't going to buy them out. Cisco already did that.

Oh, and I believe OS X does have a software router built in.

3. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

I have had better results with the low end routers on my Mac when I use Internet Explorer to configure them and not safari.

Often safari will work for all but one function on the router's config web page. Other than that I haven't had a lick of trouble with any budget router on my Mac.

4. Gymnut thread starter macrumors 68000

Gymnut

Setup yes, but when attempting to open ports uhmm no. And if OSX has a software router built in, do tell.

You may not have a problem with any of their routers but I've had two come to me DOA.

5. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

well even if apple has a software firewall and you open ports, they will still be blocked on your linksys router. and open ports is very easy on a linksys router. just access the web based utility and click on port mapping, simple as that. linksys works very well on the mac, just because the whole setup is web based, not much to it.

iJon

6. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

I don't really know anything about OS X and built in capabilities, but I thought I read someone post once that you could turn on internet sharing in one of the preference panes, which would seem to me to be a software router. I don't relaly know though. That just what I seem to remember someone saying once.

Can't really comment on anything like opening ports. As far as I know everything is the same between macs and PC's since the administration is done through the web browser interface. My experience with them has always been great, but I was using them for very basic things.

Could be linksys doesn't do everything you need it to. Thats fine. Just use a different brand. Lifes too short to get angry about it.

7. Independence macrumors regular

i've got two linksys routers, a linksys wireless hub, and a linksys cable modem. i haven't had a bit of trouble with them. and i doubt it's because i'm currently running windows. they were great with linux as well. and when i get my first mac, it'll work perfectly with it too.

8. Gymnut thread starter macrumors 68000

Gymnut

Perhaps you're too quick to realize the subject of this post: Products with poor Macintosh support. I'm now using a Belkin router, that actually came with a setup wizard CD specifically for a Macintosh computer. Incidently, what's often easy and straightforward for one individual is not often the same for another. So you can rag on and on as how easy and straightforward they are to setup yes, but when configuring it is to be damned at how confusing it is when the router you bought, must be configured by visiting the manufactuers website and digging through files in their support base to configure. I wouldn't doubt there's a million things I find easy and straightforward which you would find dumbfounding, so don't try to use that argument on me. I know this is a rant, but the idea of this thread was for ppl to share their experiences in regards to poor or non whatsoever Macintosh support, not to chip in their two sense at how easy something is or should be. Who wants to be treated like second class citizens??