Professional G4 Macintosh

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by Albert, Jun 25, 2002.

1. Albert macrumors newbie

I have learn today, that Apple stop the construction of Professional G4 model in July, Mayby for G5?
    Sure new models will appear in end of July or French Apple expo in September

2. King Cobra macrumors 603

I'm glad to see that you have decided to type using the most difficult language in the world! :D

However, with no proof, I cannot say that you are right. But I can also say that you might not be wrong. At least I would like to see G5s, but I don't think this is going to happen anytime soon. Have you seen the thread on the G5s possibly being late on debut, all the way to 2003? It's a quick rumor. Besides, with all the G4 update rumors soaring around I would like to say that we will see a G4 in July. All of this is IMO.

3. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Where did u learn this from today, there is no way (well, very slim) that the G5 will come in at MWNY.
    So where did u get this dodgy info?

4. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

UGH!!! There will not be a G5 in July! Period. I don't care if Steve called and said that there would be a G5, there still will not be a G5. Deal with it, accept it, and lets all move on.

5. wHo_tHe macrumors regular

End of life?

It could just be end-of-life for the current crop of G4 towers. I think it's certain that the towers will be revved somewhat, it's just a matter of how much. Right?

6. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Re: End of life?

Yea, they are going to be changed, and big time, but there will not be a G5 processor used in a Mac until late 2003. The G4 has too much life left in it. We just need to be happy with what we are going to see in July. It will be good enough for a while.

7. rice_web macrumors 6502a

rice_web

The newest G4 could easily scale to 2GHz, because of its new architecture (or rumored architecture, rather).

The new G4 is rumored to support/have the following:

- 166MHz system bus (I can only hope for more)
    - DDR Memory (can provide an increase of about 10%)
    - Silicon on Insulator (increases speed up to 10%, if memory serves)
    - .13Micron Manufacturing (less heat, smaller core)
    - 512K L2 Cache and/or 4MB L3 Cache (with a smaller core comes bigger caches)
    - An unfortunate 12 pipeline stages
    - But maybe a better Altivec

The increase in the pipeline stages could allow the G4 to scale significantly (while also hurting performance), and the SOI would allow overclocking dreams. However, when we will see this rumored processor is difficult to say, because rumors also stated that the current batch of G4s could scale to 1.33GHz.

This presents an interesting dilemna, or a nice solution. If the new G4 is ready, then the Pro line could adopt it, allowing the iMac to take the Apollos. This could give us the following at some time in the future:

PowerMac
    - G4s at up to 2GHz
    - 512K L2 Cache at full processor speed
    - 4MB L3 Cache at 1/4 processor speed (1/2 effective)
    - 166MHz system bus with DDR at 333MHz

iMac
    - G4s at up to 1.33GHz
    - 256K L2 Cache at full processor speed
    - 2MB L3 Cache at 1/4 processor speed (1/2 effective)

I don't know about you, but if that new batch of G4s offers what is rumored, I'll be a happy camper for a while. With the architecture of the rumored G4, we could see 2GHz G4s by MWSF, and maybe even 1.5GHz G4s at MWNY. Who knows?

With a 512K L2 cache and 4MB L3 cache, an increase in speed could be tremendous.

8. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

What's happening with HyperTransport and RapidIO?

Which way will Apple go with the G5...

There seems to be more life in the HyperTransport corner right now. Especially with the announcement and demonstration of the 8th generation AMD Athlon earlier this month.

9. Grokgod macrumors 6502a

Grokgod

Bonjour Albert~

Qu'est-ce passe avec toi?

Ou a tu trouver ce nouveau chose?

Il'a pas une personne ici qui pense comme toi.

Dit moi ton raison pour cette idee!
    Porquoi tu dit que le G4 son passe?

Moi j'ai penser que ce possible mais je prier toi pour une raison.

Une bonne raison, s'il vous plait!

Alors bonne chance et welcome to macrumors, mon ami.

10. DavPeanut macrumors 6502

not gona happen in july, probably not till MWSF, at which point it would be G5's

11. DavPeanut macrumors 6502

Re: Bonjour Albert~

english only please:D

12. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

Mais, non, Français est bon aussi! Je parle un peu de Français. Pendant le vacances, je vais oublier. ;-(

13. OKComputer macrumors 6502

I dont believe that the G5 is totally out of the question. As of late the marketing strategy of SJ has been to give consumers what they want. when he introduced the flat panel imac he said " you wanted a G4. we gave it to you. you want a superdrive we said yes" and when he released the XServe he was quoted as saying "we listened to industry professionals and they wanted a 1U server and we are giving it to them." The last Rev of powermacs were great...but there was no fanfare surrounding them. I think the machines coming out will blow away any competition on the market today. thats why we are all in such a state of confusion. perhaps. just perhaps SJ is keeping this one locked up real tight as to prevent another time canada accident.

I do believe the G4 has A LOT of life left in it....in the ibook and in the imac....even the powerbook for some time. The smaller and cooler they get.

so really. what DO industry professionals want? I want the word render to be RENDERED useless. I want a G5.

14. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I can sum this all up in one phrase

At MWNY 2002 the new iWalk will have a 1.5 GHz G5........

It seems to me that its been pretty much expected that we'll see two things at MWNY - as for specifics, well, that we'll have to wait and see - but they are a *new* case design for the G4 desktop/pro line, and hardware somewhat similar to the XServe. Now some of you might remember an old tar of mine that I've put into retirement, basically because we'll most likely be waiting for a while, but if anyone feels like resurrecting the cause, be my guest and use it....

D

Attached Files:

15. King Cobra macrumors 603

Before AlphaTech goes wild on votre âne (translated for me) I suggest you revert to English! :eek:

Fin. :cool:

16. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

The only true.

Apple needs faster processors now. The sales are not good as far as I know. The pro market is not interested in spending such ammount of money for something that offers half the speed of the PC side.

When you enter a store the client is just gonna ask, how much is this PC?=$1.000, How much is this Mac?=$3.000, what is the proccessor speed in the PC?= 2ghz. and the mac? dual 1Ghz. And the PC include a 17" monitor and a printer.

Apple knows that, average people take care of their money, $2.000 of difference is too much. Apple have to lunch the G5 or anything at list with double of speed. If the technology is ready or not there is not time, the period of "the fancy" computers (New iMac, iBook, Ti) is comming down to regular levels.

17. rice_web macrumors 6502a

rice_web

Well, if the PowerMac receives a revision with the rumored G4 (the one I mentioned), the PowerMacs may finally be able to pull even with AMD, if only for a while.

AMD is currently having a very difficult time reaching the 2GHz level, where as the new G4 core may easily scale to that level. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

18. G5orbust macrumors 65816

G5orbust

where did u get this from? Those would be rele cool specs to have on a g4. and they arent all taht farfetched im my opinion. the g4 needs a larger L2 cache and the imac needs a L3 cache. do u rele think, tho, that the g4 would be pushed 200 mhz in bus speed?i thinmk apple would be most likely to have 266 mhz DDR. also, a 4 mb cache would be all taht of a speed boost anymore cuz the ddr used in the l3 caches are slower than the speculated bus speed now. but o well. good post

19. rice_web macrumors 6502a

rice_web

Well, the L3 cache runs effectively at 1/2 the processor speed, so increasing its size would always improve performance. And yes, the G4 desperately needs a larger L2 cache.

I personally would love to see a 200MHz system bus and 400MHz DDR memory, but I think that 166 or maybe even 133 is more realistic.

As for my sources... that's so sketchy. I've just compiled these rumors from all of the rumor sites (even MacRumors.com), and the specs I provided were a general consensus of these rumors. So, it's entirely a rumor! However, some of these rumors date back to about a year ago, and they now seem to be more realistic.

I'd love to see the iMacs adopt the Apollo and the PowerMacs use the next generation G4. This would further differentiate the two product lines and make the PowerMac a more attractive purchase. One of the only excuses that exists for buying a PowerMac is PCI expansion.

20. PyroTurtle macrumors regular

i think we could see an anouncement of the G5...
    i think the G4 PowerBooks are here for a while, that's what i think all the G4 Hype is about, and for the Flat iMac...
    there's alot about the technology most of us don'pt know about...as for the "geeks" who are gods on the G5 topic, remember the embedded version is quite different, take the G4 embedded, it's totally different that the computer consumer version, to where it technically says it's running at 2.9 Ghz at times....numbers mean nothing to me anymore, i just want new Profesional PowerBooks...

21. G5orbust macrumors 65816

G5orbust

ur right, the pci expansion is one of the only reasons to buy a tower. But u forgot graphics, L3 cache, speed and memory maximum.

22. billiam0878 macrumors 6502

I just want a 1.4GHz G4 with DDR. That'll do it.

Bill :)

23. madamimadam macrumors 65816

madamimadam

Have you ever actually used an iMac and a PowerMac. The iMac sucks arse when it is put up next to the PowerMac, epecially when you start working in more than one program at once and the cache and bus limitations on the iMac kick in.

24. rice_web macrumors 6502a

rice_web

I am yet to work with a Quicksilver. Is the difference great enough for me to justify buying one? (or, should I have bought one instead of the iMac, you're saying?)

That's off topic. The point that I was trying to make was that there just wasn't the difference between the two to justify nearly $1,000 for nearly identical products.

25. madamimadam macrumors 65816

madamimadam

Like I was saying, I really do think that you need to look at the two side by side before you make a comment like that. There is a HUGE difference between the two machines.

Now, if you are to say that for your needs you can not justify the price difference but to say that they are too similar because the MHz is similar is quite naive and unresearched. As Apple keeps trying to teach, MHz is not the whole bag. When you look at the lack of cache and the bus speed of the iMac you see that it really is not all that close to the PowerMac. I would rather use my PowerMac 533 than an iMac G4 800 because the iMac just can not handle the way I jump inbetween programs. In fact, the iMac has enough trouble continually playing music when a CD is put in the drive.