Professional Recording Issue

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by GuitarStar, Jan 18, 2004.

1. GuitarStar macrumors newbie

Here's my answer to everyone that's whining about how GarageBand can't do this or that etc etc, if you want PROFESSIONAL high level recording software, theres only one way to go. I've never heard of "Logic" however me and my reocordin' buddies that have a made careers out of recording, all use Cubase. So if your going to whine that GarageBand can't do certain things, or you want the most professional software you can get, Cubase is the way to go. It seems somewhat complicated at first, but half the features you won't need to use before your ready fo sho!! Plus yeah it can export MIDI and crap no problem, best recording program ever, period. The only downside is its a crap load of money, like more than $500. Its like the photoshop of audio.

Check out some screenies:

http://www.arbitermt.co.uk/steinberg/products/cubasesl_screenshots.htm

I use the PC version of Cubase (yeah, yeah, sinner I know) but the mac-version should be pretty bootylicious too.

Rock-On

Peace

2. neut macrumors 68000

neut

Re: Professional Recording Issue

it's not... at least not the first release of SX and SL. never liked Cubase much anyways. Digital Performer and Logic are much better, but don't forget ProTools if you've got a large Studio and a lot 'o Plugs. though Live and Reason are my favorites.

peace.

3. crenz macrumors 6502a

crenz

Re: Professional Recording Issue

Funny, I thought most North-American recording engineers refuse to touch anything than ProTools ;-).

It's not that Apple just bought some barely-known German software company and decided to market their cheesy little software. Logic has been around for many years and is a complete music production solution. Whether you choose Logic or Cubase is IMHO mostly a matter of taste and what your friends use :).

4. GuitarStar thread starter macrumors newbie

Yepp

If used Cubase SX and SL, SX is a lot better, never used for Mac though, im more of a PC recording person. I'm about to switch real quick cause windows crashes about 30,000 times a day!!

Windows ruins un-saved song projects faster than bat do your hard drive ever could =OP I'll have to check out this Live, Reason stuff and pro tools stuff, but from my experience, Cubase has given me the least amount of hassle hands down! Some Mac magazine should do a huge review of all this stuff if they havn't already =0)

Oh yeah I forgot to add, I was using an updated version of Cubase, went back to my friends older version and it hardly seemed like the same program, the new version is so much better!

5. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

thank god! Enough of this "why won't GB let me have a proaudio studio" crap. People - read the description, it's an entry level SEQUENCING program.

logic and protools are good for most needs. Cubase is not as professional as you might think - experiment around.

6. losackmd macrumors member

MIDI DATA FROM A MIDI KEYBOARD INTO GB

CANT I SYNC AN ENSONIQ'S SEQUENCER THAT HAS TONS OF SEQUENCED DATA
    WITH THE SEQUENCER OF GB SO THAT THE DATA IS MIDI'D OUT TO RECORD INSIDE THE GB SEQUENCER?

THIS WAY I COULD ASSIGN DIFFERENT SOFTWARE INSTRUMENTS TO THE MIDI DATA AND HAVE IT ALL IN GB

SIMPLY PUT IF I RUN MIDI OUT FROM THE ENSONIQ TO MIDI IN OF GB
    WONT THE DATA RECORD INTO GB
    AS IF I WAS PLAYING IT ON THE KEYBOARD LIVE?

THIS WOULD BE IMPORTANT TO KNOW

THANKS

GLENN

7. Torajima macrumors regular

Without the ability to import/export midi sequences, it doesn't even qualify for "entry level"... it's a toy at best.

8. pianojoe macrumors 6502

pianojoe

Re: MIDI DATA FROM A MIDI KEYBOARD INTO GB

Why are you shouting at me, Glenn?

9. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

<note to losackmd> Must remember to turn CAPSLOCK OFF!!!</note to losackmd>

;)

10. shake macrumors regular

CUBASE THE PHOTOSHOP OF AUDIO ??!!?

thats the funniest thing i have ever heard. ever hear of ProTools? all professional composers i know (guys who score films, television shows and commercials) use Logic. All recording studios i have worked in use ProTools.

I have to agree with a previous post, "CuBase is not as proessional as you think".

LOOK ALIVE!

11. neut macrumors 68000

neut

well, this thread sure turned into a stinking pile of poo...

5000!

peace.

12. losackmd macrumors member

re midi

lets try this again

it would help if someone knew something about this issue
    or direct the reply to some other thread / area of discussion
    and stop changing the subject.

These GB forums will cease to be of interest unless solid important
    questions are being answered.

if all we are doing here is sending midi data to a GB midi track
    from a midi keyboard then why wouldnt a synthesizer with its built
    in sequencer ( korg, roland, ensoniq etc)
    be able thru midi out to send the data into GB?

if you cannot lock the sequencers, i assume you would have to manually
    press start on the synthesizer( external midi keyboard) and have the data
    midi 'd into GB. Does anyone have any experience with this.
    Many of us long time users of midi have tons of material on our synthesizer
    sequencers that we would like to put into GB and add to it from within
    GB.

If version 2.0 would include this i think it would be a plus.
    if not
    I wouldnt see much of a benefit for it,

It has to amplify its midi capabilities to work with other sequencers and midi files.

gl

13. tjwett macrumors 68000

tjwett

personally i think Cubase is kind of crap. i use Logic instead. Cubase has become sort of bloated and the UI has gone to hell. it also places processor priority on screen redraws, so if you're pushing it too hard the audio breaks up, but the UI remains useful. stupid. it's the only audio app that does this. this is all matter of opinion. lots of people use all the big sequencers.

14. tjwett macrumors 68000

tjwett

Re: re midi

please stop posting this on every thread. obviously no one cares what you have to say.

15. amnesiac1984 macrumors 6502a

Yepp, logic is the way forward, have you seen the new UltraBeat thing that is comin gwith logic pro? Man I wish I could afford that beast.

16. GuitarStar thread starter macrumors newbie

*cough* download *cough*! Phew must be getting a cold =0)

17. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Cubase is a good way to start recording and sequencing, and it is eminantly piratable, as Stienberg don't seem to put the energy inot copy protection thar Emagic and Digidesign do, but once you get exposed to Logic (or ProTools for audio recording) Cubase falls flat.

Stienberg as much admitted it by stacking Nuendo against it.

The pro-industry in the UK is very Logic/PTools led, in the US, don't forget DP4...

18. neut macrumors 68000

neut

Cubase SX and SL are not so easy to crack though back in OS9 it was too easy to crack, but barely useable anyways (bad interface). They now require dongles...

I hear Nuendu is the **** for multimedia audio. I would love to try Logic, and I have seen DP4 in action and it looks pretty sweet too. Never really needed ProTools though... not enough equipment, plug-ins, and cash to justify using it.

peace.

19. GuitarStar thread starter macrumors newbie

Nope

Cubase is still very easy to crack, for having a dongle I was pretty suprised all you have to do is replace one DLL file (in Windows), I tried it on my copy cause I needed the USB spot.

20. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Nuendo isn't as good as it thinks it is, it's workflow is poor, and it maks stuff more difficult to do sometimes, plus the interface sucks...

I've got Logic and ProTools, plus Reason, Spark etc, and a bunch of plugs, but the real kicker is that I use ProTools HD3 axess at work, and it is the bomb, especially when you run it with a Logic front end.

I don't do a lot of MIDI, so ProTools suits my needs, except that you can't mix surround out of the LE version.

21. neut macrumors 68000

neut

Re: Nope

i don't think you can do that with the OSX version...

So what kind of mac have you run Cubase on? it preformed well i presume?

good to know.

//i don't know anyone who is currently running it.

nice.

//i found i nice minimal set-up with Reason and Live. i can't afford the ProTools hardware.