Professional Software

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by eric/, Jan 25, 2013.

1. Guest

eric/

I was wondering if there was interest, or if it was a good idea, to perhaps make a professional software subforum. Often times I see people discussing AutoCad or Solidworks on some of the other forums, and sometimes about performance on certain machines.

We have forums dedicated to digital software like photography and video/graphic editing, so it's at least consistent.

If there is enough interest I think it could be a good location since many of us use our computers for our professional lives.

Or perhaps this is bundled somewhere else.

2. macrumors 604

Jessica Lares

I find the audio and visual media sections pretty vague, so I agree that there could be an additional sections. I always struggle with my Autodesk software, and it would be nice to ask a question here, and I know people around here know this stuff better than me because I always get help in the MacRumors IRC channel.

There's a lot of forums about Autodesk stuff, but they aren't very good for novice users, nor are they Mac friendly.

3. thread starter Guest

eric/

I'm glad you agree. I felt foolish posting this, but I'm hoping for a positive response.

It also may not necessarily be exclusive in the sense that it could be a general Mac in the work-place type of forum. People could ask about professional software, but also about hardware for their business and it's applications.

4. Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

We tend to get some discussion of some engineering software in the Programming sub-forums.

I think one challenge here would be in defining "professional". For some, Microsoft Office is plenty professional. ;)

B

5. thread starter Guest

eric/

I'm an engineering student myself, and don't really go to the programming subforum at all, so I never would have saw that.

I think Microsoft Office could be inclued in the professional forum. The whole point, ideally, for this forum is that it's a discussion of software used in the professional environment, and for users to discuss merits, demerits, etc...

at least that's my opinion

6. macrumors 604

Jessica Lares

That it is. :D There is a lot of stuff in Word I would never use, can't say the same about Pages.

I think people know the difference between Office and iWork, Coda vs Dreamweaver, and GarageBand vs Pro Tools.

7. Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

So what threads from Mac Applications and Mac App Store would you exclude from such a forum? A quick glance shows that most of the apps discussed there could be used in some professional setting?!?

B

8. thread starter Guest

eric/

Just looking at the names

I would exclude:

How do I upload single photos from iPhoto/Aperture to Dropbox
    App Store down?
    Anyone think Apple will being Push Notifications to OSX?
    Best utilities for OS X
    Give away:Ultimate PDF Converter -- Never Stop
    Best for graphic EQ for music?
    iPhoto '11 library update problems?
    Tuneup Analyse Playlist Tracks Missing
    iBooks authors question.
    10.6.3 missing/"losing" mouse click; Problem with USB Overdrive?
    Genius mix help.
    iBooks Fairplay DRM removal
    Infuriating iTunes issue.. difficult to summarize.
    Can you disable info autofill in iTunes?
    Pdf flip page for mac ?
    iPhoto not copying 100% of photo's across to external hard drive

etc....

I would include:
    Adobe Creative Cloud Compatibility ?
    Mac Mail separating accounts
    Final Cut Pro X - How do I render?
    Formatting problems for emails in Outlook 2011

now of course that is just a quick glance, but hopefully it gives some more insight into my suggestion.

either way, it's just a suggestion. If people like it, cool, if not, no big deal. Just trying to make the sight better organized (at least I think it would be) without hopefully causing too much segregation.

9. thread starter Guest

eric/

and it would also include hardware and applications of it in a professional setting

*should my company buy iMacs? yes no maybe why*

10. macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

This

[​IMG]

says: No.

Probably only a small amount of Apple customers uses Macs AND professional software. :(

11. thread starter Guest

eric/

iPhone/iPad for businesses too