Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dec.

Suspended
Apr 15, 2012
Toronto
Random thought after reading some "Tim is not nice" stuff... I sometimes think that the timing of Steve Jobs death was very unfortunate for many fanboys - not only for the obvious reasons.
The mobile phone market has changed drastically over the past 3 or 4 years, same with the tablet market and while Apple obviously were highly influential, I wonder how Steve Jobs would have handled the strong growing competition that he didn't have to face during his lifetime. I'm not into the "Steve wouldn't have done this" stuff, but considering the changes in that mobile world and also in the content world (also in regards to Apple TV), I think that he would have had to bend over many times more than any Apple fanboy would like to admit. But like I said, it's a random thought and I don't mean it negative or anything, Tim Cook just took over control at a point where the entire game has changed. IMHO. So be nice to him!

brainkilla

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2013
Ok we need a poll on who's high school hair was worse - Tim Cook or Jony Ive.

Oh, c'mon, it was Cook's - he looked like an old lady with a really bad perm. John Ivy looked like a proper British punk rock teen, nothing to see there.

Sven G

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2012
Milan, EU
Tim Cook IMHO is a perfectly capable CEO.

As for hairstyles, I don't really understand why many of you denigrate the '70s; and hadn't it been for the '70s and their projection towards the future, nothing of what we have today would be here, especially in the computer field.

And many of today's hairstyles are much worse (or even non-existent), of course...

Anyway, Tim Cook seems to be a really good manager for Apple, quite capable also at an international level.

J.gerbes

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012
Come on, someone photoshop that hair onto him now please :D

Here you go :)

Cook-now.png

Compare.png

worstwriter

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2012
You've got to be kidding

Yes. Yes. Let us honor the perfect American Corporate Automaton. This is what everyone should strive for in the quest towards Fail Upward perfection. And now... let's go puke-up something to buy that we don't need nor afford. Unpaid credit to the rescue of the American't dream. But in all seriousness. Hats off to offshore profiteering.
Suckers.
worstwriter

babaroga73

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2014
That explains a lot

That haircut on first picture certainly explains round contact pictures in ios7.

Attachments

• photo.PNG
    photo.PNG
    89 KB · Views: 82

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
He's just another boring uncreative CEO. Not sure why people seem to think highly of him.

Because he was personally recommended by Steve Jobs to run Apple.

----------

Do you remember what Steve Jobs said about his hiring of John Sculley?
" What can I say, I hired the wrong guy".

True, but Tim Cook was pretty much running Apple while Steve Jobs was on medical leave. This happened a number of times... He had a number of 'trial runs' and obviously didn't do anything to stop Steve wanting him as CEO.

Mystic386

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2011
I never intimated that they were, I am only saying that Steve Jobs is not perfect, and made many mistakes. I don't think Time Cook is necessarily a mistake, but history will have the final say in the matter. Stay tuned.

Thanks for pointing out Steve was not perfect. I think pretty much everyone already knows that. I mean who is?

What most tend to focus on is what Steve J achieved in his lifetime. Apple - Pixar - Next and Apple. I also admire what he seems to have achieved in his personal family life, appearing to have a normal family and family home in an a suburban neighbourhood. You know when we mention these things and comment on the sheer talent of the guy we know he wasn't perfect. I'm just not sure why someone has to pop up when there is a Steve was great comment and go " you know what he made mistakes, he wasn't perfect, he wasn't nice at times." Frankly who cares. We don't remember people by their mistakes.

On a side note of CEO's Tim hasn't made obvious mis-steps. With hindsight we can see them. Apple do tend to stay proprietary and there have been many times through there history where that has worked against them. I wonder if that has happened recently for them. Ballmer is interesting because I struggle to think of anything he did well. I'm surprised he hung around so long. The new guy at MS looks interesting. Interesting times.

mccldwll

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2006
(1) How the hell would you know?

(2) You don't get to be the CEO of Apple (personally chosen by Steve Jobs) by being boring and uncreative.

If that's your standard for boring and uncreative, I shudder to think how you'd measure up.

How can you say that? Look at the super cool unboring ID WiiDSmoker created. :)

jigzat

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2012
Hair always come back to haunt us, every generation is the same, in 40 years our children will say the same thing about us.

chrimux

macrumors member
Feb 6, 2012
Well, maybe you should ask Steve Jobs. There's a reason Jobs wanted him to be CEO after him. There's a reason Jobs kept him since 1998.

And as I'm imagining you're a person who says 'it's not the same without Steve', then respect Jobs' memory by respecting his decisions.

Steve Jobs also wanted Scully to be in his team .... I respect Jobs a lot, but I do not think he was very good in choosing the right people. Cook was very good in the logistics division, but he is not a great CEO.

Reactions: jblagden

Apple Corps

macrumors 68030
Apr 26, 2003
California
Steve Jobs also wanted Scully to be in his team .... I respect Jobs a lot, but I do not think he was very good in choosing the right people. Cook was very good in the logistics division, but he is not a great CEO.

Spot on comment. Tim talks - the stock drops. Tim remains silent - the stock drops. His #1 objective is (or should be) returning shareholder value. AAPL now at $516.

Last edited:

Apple Corps

macrumors 68030
Apr 26, 2003
California
A non- selective fact:

September 2012 both AAPL and GOOG trading at $700/share

February 2014 AAPL at $516 and GOOG at $1230/share

Another $14,000,000,000 wasted on buybacks - how is that working out so far ????

From a partial owner of Apple Corporation, Cook = epic failure so far.

jblagden

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2013
Well, maybe you should ask Steve Jobs. There's a reason Jobs wanted him to be CEO after him. There's a reason Jobs kept him since 1998.

And as I'm imagining you're a person who says 'it's not the same without Steve', then respect Jobs' memory by respecting his decisions.
I would respect his decision, but it's not like it's been working out particularly well. Just look at the Macs! The planned obsolescence! The impossibility of repair!
[doublepost=1488558583][/doublepost]
Unlike his predecessor, he's at least a decent person.
That's the argument people make for Bill Gates. Windows is terrible, but Bill's a good guy.

Personally, I'm more interested in results. More people use the products made by the companies these guys ran (or run in Cook's case) than actually know them. I don't know Gates or Cook, and I didn't know Jobs - but I've used products made under all of their leaderships. I've used Windows, I've used products made during Steve Jobs' time at Apple, and I've used products made during Tim Cook's (still ongoing) time as CEO of Apple.

Last edited:

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
Well at least he just has fashion to blame. Someone found a class photo from grade school, which caught me thoroughly spaced out, mid-gaze out the window, with a finger well on its way to or from my nose.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.