Profile setting lost...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Natalia81, Jun 29, 2006.

1. Natalia81 macrumors regular

I'm running 10.3.9 (Powerbook). I was in finder and it got locked up (had the spinning circle) I couldn't do anything, so I right click on the finder icon and select an option that was similar to "force quit" (but wasn't can't remember what it said). Well, it made all my folder, desktop, and other personal settings, like my bookmarks in Firefox erase. I restart....log back in and try to set everything back up. The finder View Options do not save, neither do the desk top view options.

Anyone know what the solution is and why it is doing this?:confused: :(

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Most likely culprit is that ~/library/preferences/com.apple.finder.plist is corrupt. Trash it -- you'll have to redo your prefs one more time, but... hopefully, after that, they should keep. :(

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Or it could be that your Home folder was renamed. Do you remember trying to change the name of a folder recently? :)

4. Natalia81 thread starter macrumors regular

This seemed to fix it. So far everything seems to be saving. Thanks for your quick response! I love this forum!!:)

5. Natalia81 thread starter macrumors regular

email

Now when I open entourage or mail it keeps asking me for my accounts password. When I enter it and save the password, a message pops up "Keychain Not Found" - Keychain "login" cannot be found to store "emailacctuserid". My options are to "cancel" or "reset to defaults". When I click "reset to defaults", the question "Are you sure you want to reset your keychain environment to default?"..."no" cancels everything, "yes" makes it work for that session. But when I exit Entourage or Mail I have to do the same thing over again.

What gives?:(

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Natalia, in your Applications/Utilities folder, there is a program called Keychain Assistant. Run this program. From the Keychain Access menu, select Keychain First Aid. You will get a window asking for your user password, and on the right top it will have "verify" and "repair" buttons and a start button. You should be able to run it in Verification mode and get the message "Verification completed" at the end of the test. If you get Verification Failed, switch to Repair mode and run it that way. Again, once repair is successful, you should be able to complete verification without a failure message.

See if this helps resolve the issue.

7. Natalia81 thread starter macrumors regular

You saved the day again!:) thanks!