Profiles

Discussion in 'Community' started by job, Jan 8, 2003.

1. job macrumors 68040

job

This topic has probably been done before, but I'm tired of seeing some forum member complain that his/her occupational standards exceed the hardware offered by Apple.

The point of this thread is to profile the hardware needs (i.e. ideal set-up) for professionals and casual users alike.

Beginning with your current computer set-up and including your dream-set up, followed by your current occupation and demands it places on your hardware (including hobbies, i.e. casual PHP/MySQL coding etc.) and what, if anything, there is you could possibly do to optimize your work/play environment. Or, alternatively, a machine that Apple could release that you would be interested in purchasing.

I'll start it off.

I'm currently a full-time student with a weekly part-time job.

My current computer set up, although dated (iMac 400Mhz, 512 MB RAM) nevertheless fufills my needs for a digital jukebox (Altec Lansing 2100s), internet machine, word processor, and casual gaming machine. I use Photoshop, Dreamweaver, Fireworks, and BBEdit for light HTML work. As a result, the most intensive app on my computer would probably be Return to Castle Wolfenstein.

My dream-set up would be a new desktop, probably a tower with a decent GPU (I have yet to experience Quartz Extreme!) as I would like more expansion room for college. Most likely I would go for the base-line as money plays a part.

My profile is a bit brief, but I thought this thread could be useful so MR forum users might be able to understand the situations of other Mac users who critique Apple's decisions, hardware and otherwise.

2. Dignan macrumors 6502a

Dignan

Full time student, film club, etc.

Anything that renders quickly, and holds lots of footage. (For now is 800mhz 1gig powerbook, 60 gig drive, and Dual 800 tower, two 80 gig drives, 768 ram, 17 inch screen)

3. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I'm in full time employment in IT support (wintel world).

I have a Dual 1Ghz Quicksilver, 1Gb RAM, SuperDrive, 80Gb, GF4MX, Dual screens.
    When I get home my Mac provides a welcome change from the daily nightmare of Compaq/IBM and NT/2000/XP.

Really thinking about it, my mac is wasted. I don't ever really put it through it's paces doing anything. When I bought it I had in mind that if I got the best I could afford then it would last me the longest. I am trying to get into some 3D work, starting to use Cinema 4D, so maybe it will get used to its full potential with all that rendering.

My dream setup? Well, I guess if I had money to burn I'd love a 15.2" 1ghz PowerBook & dual 1.25Ghz PowerMac, but really my current Mac far exceeds all of my needs....lucky old me :)

4. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Me

Freshman in HighSchool. Learning how to develop programs, small web page design, work with FCP.

Right now I have a G4 400 with 768MB of RAM, and a 17inch Flat CRT.

My dream would be a 17.2" Powerbook wired (with airport extreme) and a Dual 1.25 w/ Dual Formac 21 inch monitors.

5. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

maybe this would have been worthy of a poll

but anyway...here goes...

I'm 25 years old. I'm a freelance graphic artist & photographer.

I use a Rev. B 667 TiBook w/512MB RAM (B2TM?), 30GB hard drive which is quickly filling up, airport, etc, etc. I've got a few extras that aren't really worth mentioning though.

My second piece of equipment that almost never leaves my side is my Minolta Dimage 7i. Running around town with my camera & laptop, I've been accused of being "geeky." Nonetheless, it offers me the ability to do photo shoots on the fly whenever I want to, wherever I want to. ;)

6. medea macrumors 68030

medea

Well I'll give it a shot.
    I'm 21 right now, I use my iMac for editing video though I'm giving it a break right now until I buy an external HD, digital photography, I type a lot and am looking forward to a better word processor from Apple (no I won't buy Office) and internet and music. Deciding on a laptop for the near future, mainly for typing on the road or while out. That's keeping it short....

7. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

14 year old Freshman, I do lots and lots of video editing (FCP, iMovie), many times I also do Photoshop work. And of course, music, net browsing, DVD player (TV DVD player only plays one region), mail, IMing, etc. I have a 15" 800 Superdrive iMac.

I am totally satisfied with my machine, and all I am lacking is some portability. But I don't have money to even buy an iBook.. even if I did, my parents wouldn't let me. :rolleyes:

irmongoose

8. agreenster macrumors 68000

agreenster

23 year old Computer Animtion Artist (Full time) and Flash Designer (part-time). I use a range of software from Maya to Photoshop to After Effects to Flash.

I have a 550mHz Powerbook which can really only handle anything non-3D. I use Cinema4D and Maya on it but its SLOW. I mainly use my powerbook for Flash and Photoshop, even though I did use it to make a 5 minute animation in college. I also have a 400Mhz G4 Desktop, but its rarely used. :(

At work, we have dual 2.0 Xeons with nVidia Quardo 4 video cards and RDR Ram. They're quick, but Windows XP bogs em down over time. A HD wipe and system re-install is necessary about every 4 months. (Aint that some $h!t.)

My ideal system? Well, something with a terahertz processor and a killer video card to replace software rendering with hardware rendering (all you CGI people can agree). Well, thats coming someday...

But today from Apple? Id love to have a Mac with as much pure processing power as the latest Intel or AMD chip. Id like to at least have a 128MB Video card, though 256 MB video cards are coming. If Apple is 'cutting edge' with the graphics world, then they should get on the cutting edge, not play catch up. Hell, Pixar is practically Apple's sibling, so why not use their knowledge and hardware needs as a template for the next Apple box?

EDIT: One more thing

CUT THE PRICES!

9. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Just shy of 31 year old attorney. I have a 1 gig 15" TiBook with Superdrive. I use my laptop for email, surfing the web and typing documents. I'm trying to learn to do DV movies and some photo stuff. This is way more computer than I need, but hey, Eye, if you wanna buy a 15" Rev C, let me know, I'm already lusting for the 17".

10. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

My turn. I'm 35, and work in the IT department of a public school district. My work machines are an HP omnibook running Win2000 (very nice), and a 1st gen Tibook, with 512 MB RAM. The Omni book gets very little use, and is used mostly for when I need to troubleshoot a Win 2000 desktop (it allows me to do phone support, or try to recreate the problem, to a certain extent, and try out new programs for compatibility). The tibook is my main machine. I use it for email, surfing, etc. I do video editing on it, remote server set up airport set up, trouble shooting, etc, etc. It does pretty much every thing I want.

At home I have a PII 233 MHZ that I use mostly for gaming or surfing. Actually my wife and kids use it more than I do, because I take my laptop home at night, and play while sitting in my layzee boy:D

My dream machine would be a top of the line Alienware, for gaming, and a maxed out 15" Tibook for everything else

11. sturm375 macrumors 6502

I'm 26, and Second in command at my company (also the bottom rung, only 2 people my boss and me).

I program in 4D which is currently struggleing to go to a full OS X version. I also surf the web, email, some HTML (BBEdit lite/Netscape composer). Outside of work, I surf the web, email, some HTML, C++, Visual Basic, InterDev, Word Processing, Picture Editing, and of course gaming.

3 Computers:
    1 - TiPB 500 RevA (No Quartz Extreme:( ); 1 GB RAM (Crucial); 40 GB HD (www.powerbook1.com). This is what I work on all day, as well as take on trips so I can show off pictures and DVDs.

1 - Dual AMD Athlon 1600+; 1 GB RAM; 1-80 GB HD (Western Digital Special); 1-60 GB HD (also WD, not special); GeForce3 Ti200. This is the rig I do the "work" stuff on, as well as web surfing/email. While I'm at work, it's busy crunching SETI numbers. Dual Boot to Win2K, and SuSE Linux 8.0.

1 - Single AMD Athlon XP 2100; 512 MB RAM DDR3200; 1-80 GB Maxtor ATA133; 1-60 GB Maxtor ATA133; Geforce4 Ti4600. This is my gaming machine. I have yet to come accross a game that taxes this machine:) . OS: WinXP Pro

Dream Machine: Dual AMD Hammer (Optron?); 4 GB RAM DDRII; 2-ATA Serial .5 TB HDs; nVidia GeForce Fx.

Currently everything is adequet for what I do. Although I would like to be able to run QE.

12. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

i am 39 and have two businesses and one of them is being a pc techie so my main machine, if needed, is a pc laptop using windows 98

but at home, i prefer to use my rev a ibook...mostly for email, internet, word processing, and light gaming

my wife uses the ibook for her part time graphics business as the laptop has photoshop, illustrator, freehand, and pagemaker on it so it does everything she needs

for my business as a techie, i would just get any old pc desktop with windows xp on it...cheap and a crt will suit me just fine...nothing fancy needed

for macs, my wife and i would do well with another ibook, or better yet, the new 12" powerbook which could do all her graphics at perhaps three times the speed (867 mhz g4 with 512 ddr sdram would just speed past a 300 mhz g3 with 160 sdram):D

13. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Me in a nutshell...

24 years old
    Grad student (Educational Technology)
    Full-time lab technician (PC and Mac), Mac OS X Server administrator, web designer

Recently got the 15" 1GHz PB to replace my 400MHz PB.

At work I use an MDD dual GHz for production.

14. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

Re: maybe this would have been worthy of a poll

I think it was me who accused you of being geeky. :)

Essentially, my setup is overkill... but was needed when i had someone here doing biz development and couldn't see spending money on a used mac when the dual1000 qs was available cheapish.

So, I have a DP1000 QS with 1.5gb of RAM, 200gb of HD (wd 120gb 8mb cache and the stock 80), sony speakers I stole from dad. ;) an Apple 17" LCD as my main machine.

I also have a DP450 which is used as a scanning and printing station, with an Epson 1250 scanner and soon an Epson 1280 or HP 1200cse or whatever. The DP450 has 512mb of RAM and 60gb of HD. Sony 17" CRT (flat) running on it.

I also have a tiBook REVb 667 (dvd). 512mb of RAM and 30gb hd.

I used the ti and the QS for design work, using PS7, AI10 and ID2.0 as well as DW, Flahs and FW MX. I also use suitcase and iView for my image archiving, transmit for FTP, iTunes for music, Mail app for mail and Safari for browser (with Mozilla backup).

I use thinkfree office and have no problems with it, it rocks.

I do all design and production (save for scanning) on the DP1000. I also use the DP1000 as a jukebox to play tunes on during the day, a photo editing machine for my Dimage 7hi (and also to design the fotohaus.com website) and a music making device. (reason, Logic 5, b4, et.al).

I watch DVDs here (no tv, let alone a DVD player). So yea. I use my mac to the hilt. It's a VERY capable machine, and NEVER (knock on wood) gives me trouble.

So much so that I'm thinking of selling the DP450.

All of my Macs run Jaguar and all of my SW is legal and good.

I also do all of my company records on the DP1000, generall using FirstEdge (MYOB soho business software).

If anyone wants the DP450, email me offers. It also have a QUEFire! 16x CDRW drive.

;)

I can't imagine my dp performing better (it's blazing fast. ;) ) However, I notice lots of lag in my tiBook. I was hoping when I bought it that it would be my desktop replacement, but the DP450 seemed much quicker at the time.
    :rolleyes:

The difference between the DP1000 and the ti is RIDICULOUS. As such, the ti serves mostly as a dump for images when i'm on remote shoots, and also as a machine for surfing wirelessly at coffeeshops, as well as housing the novel I'm writing as well as quotations and some business development stuff.

I push my stuff pretty hard, and while i'm not thrilled with my ti's performance, i don't dislike it. I'm just used to DP. :)

15. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

where the concrete to dirt ratio is better
    College senior.

TiBook 667 Rev B./1Gig/48gig/DVD-RW/Blue Bezel.

External FW CD-RW and HD. External USB Zip. PowerShot S45.

Many other extras which I could have done without.

I design, edit photos, illustrate, write HTML...Both freelancing and homework. I truely feel I do need all the power I have, and would like more. InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop and other programs all runing at once take a lot of power and RAM. My 18Gig MP3 collection takes a lot of space also.

I will hapily wait for a laptop with more than twice the overall performance than mine though. When it comes, I will purchase it.

Oh- I will be going on to grad school for a Law degree and an MBA, so designing will take a secondary place to those soon enough.

If anyone has a design or marketing related job in the chicagoland area- i am VERY free in May.

16. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

Okaaaay....

I'm a 25 year old Freelance IT Geek and I'm a Sales associate for a local Apple Reseller during the week.

My current system is an iMac 333 Rev D with 160 MB of RAM, a 30 GB drive and Jag. I've been punnishing the poor little guy recently by running Office, Photoshop and Golive all at once.

My current technolust is for the new 17" Powerbook with the 333DDR and 802.11g. If and when we see a Hypertransport-bussed PPC 970 based PowerMac I'll do some Black Magic to get one. ;) :D

My Dilemma is whether to limp along with the iMac for a while and throw $800.00 at it to bring it up to a 600G3 with FW, a Burner and half a Gig of RAM or just get the new AlBook.

17. job thread starter macrumors 68040

job

Re: Okaaaay....

:)

Kinda like my situation too.

I guess you havn't experienced Quartz Extreme on your machine either. :D

18. Mblazened macrumors regular

20 yrs, Apple Service Technician in Hollywood, Digital Video Hobbyist

PowerMac DP 1 GHz G4 with 1.5 GB RAM, Superdrive, and Cinema Display and 400+ GB Storage

Great setup for the aspiring Final Cut Editor. That tiny new powerbook looks awesome though!

-m

19. King Cobra macrumors 603

HS Senior, 17, student
    I sometimes work with audio mixing, and sometimes I encode a few movie files to mp4 to save space.

I currently have a PowerMac G4 Cube 500MHz, 15 inch Apple Display monitor, refurbished with "oval" base, 1024MB RAM, Epson 880 printer, Lacie U&I CD-RW, Cambridge Soundworks FPS2000. If I had to optimize my current hardware, I would find the cheapest CPU processor upgrade for my Cube and possibly include a larger Hard Drive.

My dream machine would actually be the current 15.2 inch Powerbook, with a few modifications. I would like just a DVD-ROM drive without a built-in CD-RW, PC2100 or PC2700 memory, a 30GB Hard Drive, and a power-conserving processor around 500 to 733MHz, all for $1600 or less.

20. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

Re: Re: Okaaaay....

Worse: I've been using it at work since it came out but haven't had the cash for a new machine. Have you tried running "Flurry" yet? Can you say "Nifty coloured hatchmarks"?;)

21. vniow macrumors G4

okay seriously now

I am a gender confused 18 year old that graduated last year and am currently looking for a job to get out of this hellhole I live in.
    I dabble in image and video editing stuffs, but nothing too serious since a) I have slow equipment and b) It's not exactly where I would like to direct my talents which would be more musical.

I currently own a 667Mhz PIII home built that dual boots Lindows 3.0 and Windows XP Pro and a 300Mhz Blueberry iBook.

Ideally I would have a middle of the line Powermac whatever and a medium performing PC as a second machine plus a subportable notebook (currently eyeing the 12" Powerbook)

I've thought about going to college, but I've decided that if I do go, it'll be later in life after I take care of some things and get a more solid vision or my life.

Right now I need a job more than anything, anybody want to hire me?

22. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

he he...I know...I've already had to convince myself NOT to convince myself to get one...

but out of curiosity...if u are interested in getting it off your hands...how much? ;)

23. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    ageless...producer/composer/sound designer (& husband and doting father).

after using a beige g3 233 desktop for 5 years, i have recently upgraded to a dual 1ghz QS with 1 gig ram, superdrive, dual internal 80 gigs and twin 19" monitors. i run digital performer 3.02, reason 2.0 and a slew of plug-ins- all under OS 9.2.2...in fact, the only time my machine has been in X was when i first powered it up after purchase. my audio is routed thru a motu 2408 into a yamaha o3d digital mixer which routes the audio into a 5.1 system of event 20/20bas internally biamped studio monitors.

i LOVE my QS...it can run mucho audio tracks, reason, plug-ins galore( waves, KOL, pluggo) all while syncing to a QT movie...this IS my dream system. i have yet to max it out under real-world working conditions.

my g3 is now my label/invoice/office machine though i may change it into a reason machine if i add a virtual sampler to my QS system.

my internet machine is a blueberry imac 350 thats in the house...nicknamed bubba( not that quick, but good-hearted...).

24. SPG macrumors 65816

SPG

Professional DVD author and video producer/editor.
    Office: G4 450 768mb 80gig but it's got a Realtime Hardware MPEG2 encoder and seperate decoder, 80gig SCSI array, DLT, Pioneer s201 SCSI DVD-R, A04, 21"crt and enough to push the price tag closer to $50k
    G3 dog with a Media 100 system that crashes daily and renders slowly. Soon to be replaced with a DP G4

Home: G4 867DP 1gig 420gig dual monitor that is used for editing documentary and feature length films on FCP. I prefer editing at home since the phone doesn't ring and fewer people stick their heads in to distract me.

If not for the Hardware cards on the G4 dvd system it would be overtaxed. My G4 fcp system is pretty good, but could still be better on the render times, although I'm still more impressed with it then dissappointed.
    Wow, I guess I'm a "Power User", I feel so important now!