Program associations (correct icons) not showing on desktop files?

Discussion in 'OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)' started by mwalsh5757, Oct 3, 2012.

1. macrumors newbie

So I have MS Office and Acrobat X installed on this Macbook Pro and the files created in both look like they should (correct looking icons, I mean) everywhere else on the hard drive, including in folders placed on the desktop. The also open with the correct applications.

However, files placed on the desktop show with a generic looking icon, though they do open with the correct applications. Does anyone know if this can be corrected so they show with the appropriate application icon?

I did search a little bit, but I didn't find this referenced. Apologies if it has, in fact, been answered already.

2. macrumors regular

The generic Icon is showing you a little preview of the document. If you turn off "show icon Preview" on the desktop view options, you will get the standard icon.

3. thread starter macrumors newbie

Cool. Thanks!

4. macrumors G4

wrldwzrd89

In case someone else is having this problem and is getting completely BLANK icons instead of document previews or standard icons, the cause is a corrupted view settings file, called .DS_Store, in the Desktop folder. Deleting this, then relaunching the Finder, will clear it up. The trick is finding the file in question, since it's hidden.