Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kriskris

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2012
Hello,

Apologies but i am a complete graphic design novice! Basically I'm looking for a program that is relatively simple to learn that i will be able to design high quality signs on for my business. Additional uses would be logo design and also flyer, brochure design.

There is such a vast amount of expensive programs out there i don't want to bite the bullet and pay an arm and a leg for the wrong software! Help would be appreciated.

Many thanks,

- Kris

YESimBLUNTED

macrumors member
Apologies but i am a complete graphic design novice! Basically I'm looking for a program that is relatively simple to learn that i will be able to design high quality signs on for my business. Additional uses would be logo design and also flyer, brochure design.

When you don't even know what programs to use, all I can say is good luck.:rolleyes:
Logo design your going to want to use a vector program, most use Adobe Illustrator. You can also create other graphics for your flyers, etc. but I wouldn't use it to create the final product.

Photoshop will probably also be needed for your raster items, such as photos and what not.

You may also want to get InDesign for your layout program and to ready the files for output (print).

There is such a vast amount of expensive programs out there i don't want to bite the bullet and pay an arm and a leg for the wrong software! Help would be appreciated.

If your serious about design, this will inevitably happen. Although lucky for you, all those programs can be bought separately or Adobe has a bundle with them all in it (Design Premium I believe).

Are you planning on doing the work or just having it ready for a real graphic artist/designer to use?

Kriskris

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2012
Thanks for the advice :) Im planning on learning to use the tools myself hopefully! Costs far to much to get someone to design something for me and its never how i want it...

Ill have a look at those programs and see how i get on.

sigmadog

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2009
just west of Idaho
Thanks for the advice :) Im planning on learning to use the tools myself hopefully! Costs far to much to get someone to design something for me and its never how i want it...

Ill have a look at those programs and see how i get on.

Don't waste your valuable time.

You have to decide which is going to help you more:

1. The time you spend not making money while trying to learn design tools so that you can produce mediocre work that might actually hurt your business image.

2. The money you spend for a freelance designer to do professional level work that helps your business, while at the same time leaving you free to actually make money in your business.

This is one of your first important decisions as a business owner. Don't blow it.

Last edited:

YESimBLUNTED

macrumors member
Don't waste your valuable time.
2. The money you spend for a freelance designer to do professional level work that helps your business, while at the same time you are free to actually make money in your business.

This.
Plus you can use the funds your going to be spending on software, books, tutorial sites, etc. to hire a REAL designer. Problem solved.

By the time you learn to use the programs and learn how to design CORRECTLY, your business could have been up and running with a PROFESSIONAL and EXPERIENCED look.

Or you can have a garbage identity with no real thought of what goes into designing things other than "I like this color and font." :eek:

Just a thought...

ezekielrage_99

macrumors 68040
Oct 12, 2005

Thanks that has made my morning.

Your best bet if it's for your business is to hire a designer, otherwise you'd need CS5.5 with Photoshop, Illustrator and Indesign.

BTW if you're thinking of learning them over a weekend that's really not going to happen, and again design is more than the sum of program knowledge. From experience you're just going to waste your time and money on something like this.

jman2010

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2009
Apologies but i am a complete woodworking novice! Basically I'm looking for tools that are relatively simple to learn that i will be able to create high quality furniture for my business.

:D

dvoros

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2010
simple movie studio logos

There was a dialog back in August about a program online that would allow you to create movie intros from 20th Century Fox, Warner Bros., Disney, etc. with your own name on them for at home use. Can someone remember the website?

dvoros@lccc.edu

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.