Program for desktop recording, like FRAPS?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Patmian212, Oct 6, 2005.

1. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Patmian212

Hey all,
    I am looking for a program similair to FRAPS so I can record myself playing video games or record me doing stuff on my ibook for tutorials and such. I already tried snapz pro and I REALY dont like it, its too complicated for me. I just want a simple program with a button which says record and it starts recording, I dont want any fancy effects or anything.

2. 20rogersc macrumors 65816

20rogersc

3. Patmian212 thread starter macrumors 68020

Patmian212

The video quality in movie grab lags a bit but apart from that its good, any more programs you guys can recomend?

4. tag macrumors 6502a

tag

Well I can't really recommend this program, since I haven't had a chance to use it yet (just found this program the other day actually) so maybe someone else has some experience with it. vnc2swf On the plus side its free, but on the down side its still needs a bit of work (such as it doesn't record sound yet) but could always give it a try. It connects to your local VNC port to record, and then outputs to a Shockwave flash file. Sounds neat but no idea on video quality.

5. Muskie macrumors 6502

Muskie

I would guess that this wouldnt work for recording games. I vnc'ed to my tower from my laptop and started up UT2k4 just to see what would happen, and all I could see was my desktop. VNC didnt collect any of the rendered stuff from the game.

6. tag macrumors 6502a

tag

I guess Unreal Tournament would give alot more strain on the connection than other games maybe thats why its just showing your desktop? Honestly the only games I have installed on my Macs are Marble Blast Gold and Tony Hawk Pro Skater4, and both of them work through VNC (Though a bit laggy since its via wireless). So maybe UT2k4 is just too much for VNC to handle?

7. TDM21 macrumors 6502a

TDM21

Ambrosia Software makes a program called Snapz Pro. It has the ability to record what's happening on the screen. There is a free demo on there website: http://www.ambrosiasw.com/utilities/

8. Patmian212 thread starter macrumors 68020

Patmian212

Might want to read the thread before posting ;)

9. NicholasWong macrumors newbie

Hi, if you really want something like fraps for mac you can use crossovers from codeweavers.com but if its too difficult ( I think its pretty difficult too ) you can
    use quicktime player which comes with every macbook/ imac and you can search on spotlight on your mac which is on the top right corner. to start
    recording, click file then screen recording to start, click the circle then hit start
    recording, if you want to stop recording, hit the circle ith the square in it to stop ( the button is on the menu bar ). :)

10. Ranius macrumors newbie

You could use screenflick. It's like 15 bucks

11. Ifti macrumors 68000

Is this games you play on the Mac itself??
    I use ScreenFlow to record my screen - mainly used for my Youtube vids etc. Works pretty well and has some basic editing functionality as well where you can insert captions, effects, zoom in/out, and so on.

12. bobd432, Aug 7, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2011

bobd432 macrumors newbie

QuickTime

I don't think a lot of people have thought of this or have tried this but this is free. QuickTime comes with iTunes is free and includes a screen recording feature that works quite well.

13. MacPrime macrumors newbie

MacPrime

I use Screeny, it has what you are looking for. Give it a try, you won't regret it.

14. VSGCanberra macrumors newbie

Might want to check your facts, sunshine.

15. VSGCanberra macrumors newbie

Fraps records a very high quality movie, at high frame rate and only the active window. Which is great for gaming, including flight sims.

QuickTime screen recording is low quality, and whole screen.

:cool:

16. IntenseLycan macrumors newbie

IntenseLycan

Alternative to Fraps

Try iShowU HD. I have it and it's great, in addition it has single-click recording.:cool: