Program for organizing mp3's besides itunes

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by DEXTERITY, Sep 22, 2006.

1. DEXTERITY macrumors 6502a

Aug 14, 2004
    I have a huge collection of mp3's and over 200 play lists. Using itunes is great and all until things get switched around or something gets lost (or you're hard drive dies and it doesn't import properly). It is a pain to refind or relink the songs.

I found one program that looks pretty cool, but I don't know much about it (dont want something that is buggy)...

Does anyone know of a good program that can organize your songs and make playlist (or record crates similar to serato) that actually aren't a pain to manage?

Thank you..
  2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    I'd love to help but I only really have experience with iTunes, and I'm very happy with it. If you let iTunes handle where the song files are kept and you have a good backup of the iTunes folder in the Music folder (which will contain the iTunes Music Library and two data files), then you really can't go wrong. They key is in letting iTunes manage your song files and only making changes through the iTunes interface. This is the same for many Apple apps. :)

Sorry for not giving you any help on alternative apps. :eek:
  3. DEXTERITY thread starter macrumors 6502a

Aug 14, 2004
    thanks for the reply. I guess some reassuring words never hurt, lol. I think not backing up the two files in the itunes folder is what messed me up. I did have a back up of my library but I had to drop all the music back in each and every play list which literally took over 10 hours. Guess I will keep searching just so i have an alernative. Anything to avoid going th rough that bs again..
  4. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

Mar 11, 2005
    To play them, just use QuickTime. As for orgainizing them, I don't know....I'm trying to remember this old 3rd party app that had visualizers and a karaoke option...hmmm.....I'll look for it.

Oh and this is my 500th post! Yes! I'm a 6502!
  5. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Sep 3, 2004
    London, UK

I hear this app was good in it's time. They don't support it anymore, though, since iTunes has basically taken over. The good thing, though, is that it is free.
  6. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

Mar 11, 2005
    That's what I was thinking of. I've used it a little bit, and it's pretty good. I'd recommend it.
  7. iflipper macrumors member

Jan 11, 2006
    Leeds, UK
    Is this on an apple machine? If not then ephpod is quite a good program that I used to use (before I had an ibook).