Program for PDF files?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by terriyaki, Mar 30, 2006.

1. terriyaki macrumors 6502a

PDFs normally open in Preview for me but I was wondering if there were any other programs out there that would be better suited for the job? (Other than Adobe Acrobat as well.. I heard it wasn't that great on a Mac..)

2. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

ChrisFromCanada

Actually in version 7 acrobat has improved greatly in speed and overall reliability. I would suggest you try it, I am not aware of any other alternatives.

3. screensaver400 macrumors 6502a

Why don't you like Preview? Is there some other feature you need?

I, for one, love Preview. Its very lightweight, loads quickly, and works well.

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Personally, I have nothing against Preview. However, I have Adobe Acrobt 7.07 Professional, which includes Adobe Distiller 7.0. There is nothing better when you want to produce small, clean, reliable PDF files.

5. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

Preview all the way... It's the best program for .pdf file. Never heard of any alternatives, apart from Adobe's programs.

6. radiantm3 macrumors 65816

radiantm3

Preview is the fastest PDF viewer. If you need to edit them, then your better off with acrobat pro. Personally, I hate viewing PDFs in acrobat (I prefer preview).

PathFinder has it's own built-in PDF viewer and text editor. It's not bad either.
    You can check it out at http://www.cocoatech.com

7. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Some alternatives. Never tried any of them (and probably never will, I, too, am happy with Preview ;)), but you might find something you like... :)

8. M-theory macrumors 6502

M-theory

Some of us, myself included, must use PC's, so an alternative PDF viewer that is lighter than Adobe's reader...

http://www.foxitsoftware.com/download.htm

I've tried it for a while now and it loads quickly, haven't had any problems yet...

9. MacsomJRR macrumors 6502a

MacsomJRR

Speeding up Preview?

Quick question about Preview and a PDF I'm working with. The document is 614 pages long with each page being scanned from a book and then converted into PDF format (by the scanner). It is 60 megs and is really slow to load from page to page when viewed in Preview so I was wondering if there is anything I can do (perhaps turn off something) that will make the document scroll more quickly. I'm using a MBP 2.0Ghz with 1GB ram.

Any ideas?

EDIT: Follow up question... are there any add-ons for preview that add features like highlighting text (not the weird red oval thing) and or drawing and writing any text on the actual PDF. The yellow sticky notes don't allow for the text to be resized as far as I can tell which is kinda annoying. Thanks!

10. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

:rolleyes: It's a 614 page bitmapped image.

11. dr_lha macrumors 68000

How is this in any way relevant?

12. M-theory macrumors 6502

M-theory

Well, though it isn't a Mac alternative, I was offering an Adobe alternative for viewing PDF files. Secondly, though the software is only for PC's right now, it may become available for Mac's. Third, a lot of people on MR have multiple computers and run Windows, and might be interested in the software.

Hope this clears things up, please let me know in the future of any confusion.

13. MacsomJRR macrumors 6502a

MacsomJRR

Sooooooooooooooo that is a no? :D

14. Teddy's macrumors 6502

I still prefer preview

After that, I still prefer preview. One more thing... I hate your avatar and your Churchill quote :mad:

15. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Probably the easiest way to speed up Preview is to close the thumbnail drawer. In preferences you can set it to keep the drawer closed by default, which really helps.

16. j26 macrumors 65832

j26

You can get pdf splitters if reading huge pdf's is a problem.

They break it down into whatever size chunks you want (chapters or whatever)

Google it and you should find a few of them.

17. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

For simple PDF markups, try Formulate.

18. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I prefer Preview as well and have tried Reader and can see why you are looking for something different.

Also, this is sort of related and I've been wondering for a while.

Before I installed Acrobat reader when I clicked on a pdf link in Safari it would load as a page in Safari for quick viewing. After I uninstalled Acrobat Reader Safari no longer loads pdf's. Instead I get a open using x program dialog.

Anyone know how to get Safari to load pdf's after uninstalling Reader?

19. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Enable PDF as a MIME type in QuickTime preferences.

20. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

Ha.. I thought that was really rude until I saw his equally rude avatar...

some people. :rolleyes:

21. dr_lha macrumors 68000

Nope, I'm still confused why you're recommending Windows programs to someone who wants to view PDFs on a Mac, on a website called "Mac Rumors".

If this is the price we have to pay for Boot Camp, then I'm signing off. ;)

22. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Actually, that didn't work (it kept automatically unchecking it after I closed System Perferences).

What I had to do was reinstall Reader and disable browser integration from the preferences. Then it worked. Yay, now I have my favorite way to preview pdf's before downloading back. :D

23. M-theory macrumors 6502

M-theory

Bye.