Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jayd

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 24, 2006
i need a program that i can use to make ringtones for my phone. i want to be able to pick a song, chop it to like 30 seconds long of the part i want. and i also need the program to be able to set different settings for the mp3 file. i need the settings on the mp3 to be 80 kbps, 24000hz, and to set it to stereo. any body know an easy to use program?

jayd

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 24, 2006
that website wont work for what im trying to do. i need a specific program just to cut mp3's and set certain settings that i mentioned at the top.

jayd

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 24, 2006
guys dont forget that i need the program to be able to change the settings on the mp3 to be 80 kbps, 24000hz, and to set it to stereo. can you do that on mp3 trimmer or audio slicer? i just downloaded both programs and i didn't see the option to change those settings.

leftbanke7

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2004
West Valley City, Utah
What I do is use Quicktime Pro to chop the song, save it as an AIFF file then use a custom mp3 encode with iTunes. Works well enough for me. Can probably chop songs with regular ol' Quicktime as well.

jayd

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 24, 2006
i need the program to be able to change the settings on the mp3 to be 80 kbps, 24000hz, and to set it to stereo.

Snide

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2005
iTunes Is The Quickest And Easiest

First, open iTunes Preferences, click Importing, and select the bit-rate, ect you want.
(I use 64Kbps mono).
Navigate to the song you want, and Get Info (Command I), and select Options.
Select the in/out points.
Under the Advanced menu, select Convert Selection To MP3.
After a few seconds, your new MP3 will appear right below the original.
Drag it to the desktop or wherever, and use Bluetooth File Exchange to upload to device.
Don't forget to switch the importing bit-rate back to normal when you're done!

jayd

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 24, 2006
snide, i dont understand your directions. ok so i went to preferences>import and i changed the kbps and set it to stereo. then i highlighted the mp3 file and hit command i and i dont see anything that says options? and im also trying to change the mp3 to 24000hz. i dont think i can switch it to 24000hz anyway. forget about it. thanks anyway

jayd

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 24, 2006
sillygirlysays, can you show me how to use it to cut a mp3 and get it on my computer with the right settings? this is one of those pc looking like programs that looks complicated. if you can walk me through it, it would be a big help. thanks

jayd

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 24, 2006
its not that easy because i cant figure out how to do it. i love the mp3 trimmer program but i just cant change it to 80 kbps and 24000hz and put it in stereo. is there a seperate easy program that i can encode it after i trim it with mp3 trimmer? if i can just find an easy to use program to switch hz, kbps, and stereo, il be all set.

younker

macrumors member
Dec 8, 2006
Audacity is the best choice I think, I use the latest development version, but it doesn't support Chinese file name of path name.

AJ Muni

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2005
Miami
iTunes hands down..once you figure it out it shouldnt take more than 2 minutes to make a ringtone

jayd

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 24, 2006
once and for all can you change the hz with itunes?

WildPalms

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2006
Honolulu, HI
i need a program that i can use to make ringtones for my phone. i want to be able to pick a song, chop it to like 30 seconds long of the part i want. and i also need the program to be able to set different settings for the mp3 file. i need the settings on the mp3 to be 80 kbps, 24000hz, and to set it to stereo. any body know an easy to use program?

MP3Trimmer. http://www.deepniner.net/mp3trimmer/

Nuff said ;)

jayd

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 24, 2006
can i get my mp3 format to these settings with that program?

Sample rate - 8000 hz
Resolution - 32 bits
Channels - Mono
Bitrate - 48 kbps

i dont think you can. can you? i already cut the mp3, i just need to change the format

WildPalms

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2006
Honolulu, HI
can i get my mp3 format to these settings with that program?

Sample rate - 8000 hz
Resolution - 32 bits
Channels - Mono
Bitrate - 48 kbps

i dont think you can. can you?

Considering I posted this less than 10 minutes ago, I have to wonder...did you try it? I can use those settings and it is playable. I havent uploaded anything to my phone, but I will try in a while and confirm if it plays on my phone.

jayd

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 24, 2006
i used mp3 trimmer to cut the mp3 a couple hours ago and i didn't see any options to change the format of the mp3. i have a nextel i870. nextel phones work entirely different than the type of phone you have. i cant even load my ringtone to the phone on a mac. i have to do it with my pc. i need the mp3 in an exact format or it wont work. a regular mp3 doesn't come in the format you see below. you have to change it. if its possible to change the format with mp3 trimmer than please show me how to do it.

Sample rate - 8000 hz
Resolution - 32 bits
Channels - Mono
Bitrate - 48 kbps

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.