Program selection software like they have on the kid's iMacs at Apple Stores?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by AaronICT, Feb 27, 2007.

1. AaronICT macrumors member

What a title.

I'm looking for software that will run on an iMac G3 600MHz I am buying for our kids to run their software on. You know, like the software they have running on the iMacs in the kids sections at an Apple Store?

One where they can only choose pre-defined programs and cannot exit.

Thanks,
    Aaron

2. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

I suggest you check out the apple store and pick something up there...it almost certainly will run on your older machine, they're not too demanding. Why not let them explore the computer though and learn how to use it? There must be some sort of parental security features in OS X . I'm glad my parents didnt' limit my computer usage when I was young....computing is a really useful tool, and I never really used to play games all that much as a kid. Just my $0.02.

3. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Thats called a limited parental controls. You can set it up in System Preferences, specify a select however many programs you wish to allow them to run, whether or not they can access CDs and other drive partitions, etc..

Create them a new account, then go to Parental Controls, check "Finder" and click "Configure" and there you will see a list of apps which you can select and unselect at will. You can set your computer to start up to a welcome screen where they can select their name or whatever, or have it log automatically in as them. Lots of options.

4. AaronICT thread starter macrumors member

This is the kids' computer. I will have parental controls running on it, I am just looking for a kid-friendly "launcher" to let them pick the program they want to run a little easier until they get double-clicking down a little better.

Surely there is kids' launcher software; is the one running in the Apple Stores an on-the-shelf product or an in-house thing?

5. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Yes, there is launcher software built in as part of Parental Controls. Mac OS X's "Parental controls" do NOT just mean web sites and stuff. It is a full family-friendly system that is pretty configurable. When you go to the Finder's "Configure" choose "Simple finder" - then log in, and set the little application launcher window to appear when the computer starts. It displays big friendly icons in the center of the screen, their names, and the stuff only has to be clicked on once to launch.