Program to add extensions to files?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by tekmonki, Feb 25, 2003.

1. tekmonki macrumors newbie

Feb 25, 2003
    Doing a conversion for a shop of about five macs (going to PC). Is there a batch program out there that will rename all of their (word, excel, etc) files to include the .3 extension based on the mac resource fork? I know about DataViz products', but they seem to do it one by one. . I want something that will do it by go through a folder or folders and automatically add the correct extension.

Thanks in advance. .
  2. Eniregnat macrumors 68000

Jan 22, 2003
    In your head.
    Try .
    There are a few file utilities here of the sort your looking for.

This one, File Renamer , I have used, but I don’t know what the OSX version is like. Best of all its freeware. I can't remember much else about it, less the fact that it didn't tick me off.

If you get really desperate, separate the kind of files into folders and import them sans extensions to your WinTell computer and then using the C prompt, write a batch file or use these (1) commands with in each directory.

key _ = space character
    n is the file extension you want. ie *.wav for wave files.
    * is the wild card for any number of valid charcters.
    (1) note- Rename is the only improtant comand.

• cls
      rename *.*_*.n
    [Then Save]

Wow, I thought I burnt thoes nurons ages ago. :D
  3. iShater macrumors 604

Aug 13, 2002
    Ack, you are asking for help turning them into the dark side! *gasp* :eek:

Just copy all the files of a certain type to a single folder. Then do the rename command on all the files in the folder.

I moved my school's library system from Mac to PC back in the mid-90s, I havn't recovered from the guilt-trip yet :(