Program to index data CDs & DVDs?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Errk!, Jun 14, 2006.

1. Errk! macrumors 6502

I've got several data CDs and DVDs that I would like to have indexed somehow. ideally if there was some kind of program where I could pop the disc in and it would automatically make some sort of listing of the files, by name, and put them in a simple database or something...that would be perfect. That way if I'm looking for a specific file I can just search the database or maybe look it up in an alphabetical text file listing, and it could tell what disc it's on (as well as subdirectory, if possible).

Does anything like this exist for Mac OS? I'd prefer freeware but wouldn't mind paying if the price was reasonable.

2. dylan macrumors 6502

3. Errk! thread starter macrumors 6502

Thought I should update this in case anyone finds it useful...

Media Catalog is OK, as is CDFinder. However I was hoping to find something that would list ALL the files catalogued. Media Catalog is nice because you can assign volumes to a catalog - CDFinder treats each volume as a separate catalog and I don't see any way to merge them together.

Media Catalog would be perfect if it could display a master list of all files in a catalog, but no such luck. If anyone can recommend a program that does I'd be grateful.

4. KuilmanR macrumors newbie

I happen to be the developer of Media Catalog. If this feature is that useful to so many people then ofcourse I'll make an effort to see what i can do.

I can't give an ETA, But i'll make it ASAP :)

5. Errk! thread starter macrumors 6502

Wow, that would be great. I read some reviews of the program and I wasn't the only person who thought that would be useful.

If it could do that I would buy it right away. I'm glad now I didn't purchase any other programs. :)

It would be great if you could let us know when it's ready (maybe in this thread if you happen to remember?). I'll watch your site too for news.

Thanks!

6. KuilmanR macrumors newbie

I have added the 'All Files' listing, i'll be working on the export functions shortly..

You can find the latest version at: http://halfduplex.net/

7. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

CatFinder works well (very fast) but its GUI is something to be desired. Its kind of an OS9 OSX mix. :confused:

8. Errk! thread starter macrumors 6502

If I purchase now will I be able to get upgrades? Or should I wait?

9. KuilmanR macrumors newbie

All updates are free :)