program to stop whine

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by herbcheck, Jun 20, 2006.

1. herbcheck macrumors member

So ive had my MBP for about 4 months. All good but after i updated and reinstalled the software that opened and closed that stopped my whine does not now.Also, comic life does not work for me. I know there is another one but cant seem to find it. Can any one help? Thanks

Drew

2. macbookprolover macrumors newbie

macbookprolover

Comic life? Is it one of the effects on PhotoBooth?

3. emw macrumors G4

emw

Comic Life is a separate application.

As for something that will stop the whine, the whine is apparently induced as a result of the CPU not running at a high enough load.

I've written a short AppleScript that essentially causes additional load on the CPU by doing a meaningless counting task over and over. You can adjust the server load at launch by entering a number from 0 - 100, which corresponds to percentage increase in CPU usage.

It's not exact, but is fairly close and does the trick. By using a 50 - 75% additional loading, my whine always goes away. Less may work in situations where you've got a lot of other things going on.

In any case, to use it, copy the text below into Script Editor, click "Compile", click "Run" and follow the prompt to enter the load desired.

You can check your actual CPU load through Activity Monitor.

Code:
    set counter to 0

-- Show instructions and get the loading value.

display dialog "This script will help eliminate the MacBook and MacBook Pro whine." & return & return & "Once started, press Command-period to halt." & return & return & "Enter the approximate CPU loading desired, from 1-100 percent:" buttons {"OK", "Cancel"} default button 1 default answer {""}

set loading to text returned of result

-- Make sure a number was entered

try
    	set loading to 1 * loading
    on error
    	display dialog "Value must be a number" buttons {"OK"} default button 1
    	return
    end try

-- Don't allow more than 100% or less than 1% loading (0% loading is unnecessary)

if loading is less than 1 then
    	set loading to 1
    else if loading is greater than 100 then
    	set loading to 100
    end if

-- Delay time is inversely proportional to CPU loading

set delay_time to 1 / (loading ^ 2)

-- Load the CPU

repeat while counter < 1
    	delay delay_time
    end repeat

4. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

That works, thanks. :)

5. HaroldC macrumors regular

6. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

150?????? Wow...dude....like, just wow....I can get away with 40. :eek:

7. HaroldC macrumors regular

Really?!?!? That's crazy. I figured with so much adjustment, that I was on the low side, but maybe I'm lucky.

8. emw macrumors G4

emw

The QuietMBP is a slick application - it does the job pretty well.

In terms of settings, note that lower is not better. Lower indicates that the applications takes up more cycles since it is waiting less time between calls to the CPU. So the higher you set it the better off you'll be.

Also, higher numbers will result in better battery life and reduced processor temperature.

9. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

haha, yep. "I can get away with 40..." that's not good, not good at all!

I have to set it to 100 or 110 to quiet the whine.

photobooth and the mirror widget do the trick as well, but all them heat it up considerably and start the mooing. :(

10. emw macrumors G4

emw

Run Activity Monitor while you have QuietMBP running - what is your idle CPU% when the whining shuts off?

11. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

well, about 75% of the CPU can be idling. But what's strange is that different apps stop the whine at different points. Quiet MBP stops it with about 25% usage, but right now I have other apps that are using 25-30% of the processing power and the whine is there.

12. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

:eek:....omygosh (i feel like the blonde girl from the Onstar spoof)

anything over 160 I get a whine. And 160 I can run the thing and not have the whine. Thanks for telling me (as it stands, for the past two days, I haven't been using QuietMBP, but rather a script developed by another guy. But omygosh, :eek:

(and now I'm talking like her too...:( )

13. emw macrumors G4

emw

If you're using my script, I'd suggest that QuietMBP is probably a better alternative. :)

14. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

:eek:...oh my gosh, that's your script. :eek:

:eek: What's wrong with me today.....(i think too much sugar).

15. cmmcintosh macrumors newbie

no whine in windows

If this whine is caused by cpu not being loaded enough, then why when i boot into windows under boot camp can it be idealing 97% with no whine?

16. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

Cuz you haven't installed hardware updates on your computer while in Windows. ;) There's a bug that is fixed and then wammo, there's the whine. :mad:

17. cmmcintosh macrumors newbie

What kind of hardware update was it? What kind of bug fix could cause a problem with the cpu whining? I'm sorry if these are stupid questions but i'm having hard time seeing this one.

18. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

Unfortunately, I don't know the name of the article, but the CPU whine is present in the chip, not because of software (well, it could probably be fixed with a firmware update). After the Windows update, all Core Duo computers had the whine (they were complaining about battery life).

Check out this forum

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=520159&tstart=0

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=121125&page=11 (check out post #2)

Could be related to this issue

http://thinkwiki.org/wiki/Problem_with_high_pitch_noises

Here's another link, the direct Microsoft link. :)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918005

19. cmmcintosh macrumors newbie

Thanks for the articles, i hadn't seen them yet.

20. emw macrumors G4

emw

Okay, this is just weird. I've had the whine problem - had it today in fact. But also today I also had another problem - my power adapter crapped out. So I went to the Apple Store and bought a new one.

Guess what?

No whine. None. Not even a little. I'll need to see what happens over the course of the next couple of days, but this is really odd. Not that I'm complaining, mind you, but it's an interesting twist on the story.

21. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

well, i have no idea why that would be emw, but congrats! Great to hear that something, anything, caused it to away. :) Gives me hope that it can be made to go away...