program to watch hd movies?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by twoodcc, Nov 16, 2005.

1. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

what program would i use to watch an hd movie clip? i have VLC, but i'm having trouble. it's so slow you can't even watch it. i'm watching on my brand new 15" powerbook (1.67 ghz G4, 512mb ram, etc). surely it's not too slow to just watch the clip?

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Is it an h.264 clip? If so you need at least a G5.

Lethal

EDIT: Keep in mind that after DVDs were main stream it took a few years before computers could play them back w/o hardware assistance.

3. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

i'm not sure exactly what it is, but windows media player can play it on my pc. i think it's mpeg4, yuv420p, 1280x720, 23.98 fps. so what does all that mean?

4. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

also, if i somehow burn something that's hd on a regular dvd-r, will it encode it back to mpeg-2, which really defeats the purpose of hd?

5. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

thats why HD is a joke IMO, only broadcast (digital cable) has it.

There is no other HD content, anywhere.

HD-DVDs, noexistent in america and will be for a long time...

So yeah, going from a HDTV rip (1280x720 etc resolution movie file) to a DVD-R would drop the quality (720x480 anamorphic) but it is always better to have a high resolution file and make that into a lower res, than vice versa of course. Assuming of course you are ENCODING this HD file into a DVD you are making and not just copying a .mov to a DVD-R, cuz that still an HD movie but not playable on anything but a computer.

But yeah, it defeats the purpose of HD to burn them onto DVDs, there is no standard for anything but 720x480 (with anamorphic for 16x9)

6. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

thanks for replying. yeah that's what i thought. so why should i even have anything in HD if i can't even watch it on my new powerbook? i'm not happy about that at all. is VLC the only program i can use?

7. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

I know this might sound ridiculous, but... If you really want to watch HD on you PB, you might want to export the video to MPEG-4 (less processor intensive than H.264) OR Lower the bitrate on the H.264 file.

8. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

how would i do that?

9. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

QuickTime Pro.

10. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I could *almost* watch 720p on my 1.25 GHz G4. I'd be surprised if a 1.67 can't handle it.

Try using QuickTime Player instead of VLC, it might have better optimisations.

11. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

If the movie clip file is small enough you should definitely be able to burn it in its native format on DVD+/-R as long as you keep it in data format. You would only need to transcode it to SD MPEG-2 if you wanted to be able to play it on a standalone DVD player. There are a growing number of standalone DVD players that will also handle MPEG-4, so you might even be able to just lower the bitrate and resolution to make it playable on some DVD players.

QT Pro is definitely a good tool for this.

B

12. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

ok, thanks for the replies. how much does quicktime pro cost and how do i get it?

13. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

$29.95 from the "Upgrade Now" link on http://www.apple.com/quicktime. Takes you to the store.

B

14. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

thanks, i'll try it out

15. Lottarex macrumors newbie

Is it possible to do that with Toast Titanium?

16. liam5150 macrumors member

liam5150

Maybe you'd want to ask this in another thread, this one is too old that probably you won't get an answer soon.

BTW: Spolier for this thread: Apple switched to intel and The Beatles are finally in iTunes :D

17. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

Hah...and the Beatles have been in my iTunes library for several years. I guess it helps somewhat owning every studio album they ever did. :cool: