Program - Xcode

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by laughingbabe16, Dec 25, 2006.

1. laughingbabe16 macrumors member

Jun 2, 2006
    I've finally decided what I am going to major in - computer science. So.. I was perusing the apple website last night and came across the page "10 Reasons Why Mac for Computer Science".

Anyways, under number 6, it lists xcode as a great tool for helping developers. Also, on it lists xcode as being on the MacBook. However, I cannot find this program and it bugs me. I looked for it under spotlight and nothing is coming up. I also looked in Applications folder but I see nothing resembling this file/program except a folder for Java and Apple Script.

Any ideas? or does apple mean I need to purchase this program?

Many thanks once again!
  2. r1ch4rd macrumors 6502a

Aug 5, 2005
    Manchester UK
    From what I remember you need to install it from one of the discs that you will have got with your MacBook.
  3. mac-convert macrumors 6502a

Nov 2, 2006
    Are we there yet?
    And - once you get it installed, I would suggest visiting this apple site and sign up under the free option to get upgrades to Xcode, SDK's and documentation - enjoy. There are also a few good books on the market that will take you through the initial use of the development platform.
  4. laughingbabe16 thread starter macrumors member

Jun 2, 2006
  5. Earendil macrumors 68000

Oct 27, 2003
    For the record, the install is something like 2.5 gigs (1gig to download the image) so that's why it's probably not preinstalled on machines, but instead comes on a DVD with the computer.