Programme to rip streaming video?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Bob Jovi, Feb 17, 2007.

1. Bob Jovi macrumors regular

Hi,

I really need to rip some streaming video for a project and was wondering what the best programme is on the mac to do this?

Thanks

2. Rasheem macrumors regular

If it's YouTube you could use "PodTube" that will put it in the format for your ipod then you could either just use that or use "visualHub" to convert it to whatever format you want. Thats the only way i know of.

3. Texas04 macrumors 6502a

Texas04

4. Musubi macrumors member

Musubi

Presuming it isn't something like YouTube, raw streaming video rippers on the Mac are pretty much non-existent. If it is a Windows Media stream utilizing the MMS protocol, you can save most of those if you have Flip4Mac installed. You just need to make sure create streaming movies is unchecked in its system preferences pane (located under the Movie tab). The stream will be cached and act like a progressive HTTP download. Once it is completely loaded, it can be saved in a self-contained MOV.

If it is a RTSP/RTP stream (like Real Media or QuickTime), I've found no reliable way on the Mac aside from using a screen capture utility so I just use Net Transport on Windows (it can download almost any streaming video without problems). VLC has a stream saving wizard under Open Network but I've never got it to work (I always get an invalid module error).

5. Bob Jovi thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the help. unchecking that box did the trick!

6. dllavaneras macrumors 68000

dllavaneras

You can also go to the activity window in Safari (option+command+a) and double click the flv file (it's the largest one) to download it, then convert with iSquint :)

7. fivetoadsloth macrumors 65816

fivetoadsloth

Yeah, this is my method works very well. :)

8. Lunja macrumors 6502

Lunja

I was looking for a version of PodTube 1.0 earlier, but no luck...

What do people think of iGetMovies for downloading vids from YouTube? (All for educational purposes by the way)