programming in a mac

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by imfromthere7, Feb 21, 2006.

1. macrumors newbie

Feb 21, 2006
    Gainesville, FL
    I just recently got interested in C++ and was wondering what applications would you use to run this programming language. I know that applescript exists but besides that i am unaware of others. Also, does C++ work the same in a mac and in a windows? Are the same commands used?

thank you:rolleyes:
  2. Moderator

Staff Member

Aug 16, 2005
    New England
    XCode is the Mac programming environment for C, C++ and Objective-C, ... gcc is the engine behind XCode, and is a very portable compiler available on many platforms.

C++ is the same everywhere you go for console/text based programs, but if you want a GUI you need to interface to the right libraries, and this will (generally) be different for Macs and Windows boxes.

3. macrumors member

Jan 4, 2006
    As balamw said XCode2 is the best to start with. When I switched to Mac I had the similar problem to find a GUI. You will find a simple guideline here.

You can also use the Vim editor if you are comfortable with the Terminal. Here is a nother small demonstration.

Sure, you may not be able to use the exact code when programming under OSX but 95% of the time it should work. But I am definitely not an expert.:D
    Hope this helps :)