Programming Text Editor?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by IntellEJent, Nov 18, 2006.

1. IntellEJent macrumors member

Having just bought my Mac a couple of months ago, I am still using TextEdit as a text editor as I haven't found a better alternative (as you can see, I'm relatively new to the Mac). I would like a text editor with:
    • Syntax highlighting
    • A good way of sorting multiple documents such as tabbed (the best option).
    • Line numbering
    • No auto-indent
    • Brace and parenthesis matchup, which is useful in PHP.
    Not all of these are necessary, but it would be nice. :) I will generally be programming in PHP and C++, yet a text editor is needed badly as TextEdit stinks. Please, don't point me to a full-fledged IDE. Just a good text editor. Thanks!

Spencer

2. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

3. IntellEJent thread starter macrumors member

Hi,
    I have used TextWrangler in the past, but it doesn't have that 'make programming fun' feel to it like jEdit, Notepad++ and other text editors do. I might end up using jEdit, but it would be nice to see what other people use before I make my decision. Perhaps FOSS is what makes software more customizable and featureful. :p However, I would like to see if any programs also have that Mac OS X feel to them, which TextWrangler kind of doesn't for me. Thanks for the contribution, though, as well as the quick response!
    Spencer

4. portent macrumors 6502a

What on earth are you talking about?

I use jEdit at work (on Windows) and if anything, it's philosophy is, "Make programming as hard, slow, and monotonous as possible."

I long for TextWrangler/BBedit at work.

But if its not your thing, then maybe TextMate or SubEthaEdit would be. But they cost money, unlike TextWrangler.

5. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

6. iMacFan78 macrumors regular

iMacFan78

7. novicew macrumors member

novicew

My favourite text editors are VIM(free) and TextMate(non-free).

8. socks macrumors newbie

I second Vi too, you can set up exactly to your liking.

9. IntellEJent thread starter macrumors member

Smultron

Smultron does look interesting as an editor, so I will try that out right now. As an open source project, so I'm sure it's very customizable :)D) and it looks pretty awesome with it's cocoaness and everything. :) I'll see how it is...

EDIT: OMG Someone actually found a text editor that appeals me on the GUI side. Smultron's GUI rocks, btw! That's a tough task, you know. Now I know of three programs that match in with Aqua's GUI well and appeal me, if that helps: Colloquy, Adium, and Smultron.

10. iMacFan78 macrumors regular

iMacFan78

With or without the replacement icons?

11. IntellEJent thread starter macrumors member

I don't really care about the icons (however, I am using them); it's just that, along with other programs I've used, it has that Mac look. TextWrangler, IMO, doesn't really have that look. Smultron FTW!

12. DXoverDY macrumors 6502a