Programs (most of) not launching or starting

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by tigershoot1, Nov 1, 2004.

1. tigershoot1 macrumors newbie

Nov 1, 2004
    I hope someone can point me in the right direction on this one as it has me baffled. I have a 512 meg iMac 1.25Ghx running OS10.3.4 connected to a Lacie Firewire drive with 10.3.5 installed. For the first time in weeks I shut down my Mac (rather than send it to sleep). On starting some of the programs start to launcg and the small triangle shows next to their icon in the dock. The menu bar does not become active though and there is less hard disk activity than normal. The program then does nothing and if I look on Force quit it says it is not responding. The programs are Mail, Safari, iMovie, iDVD, iPhoto, Installer, Address Book. Strangely iTunes launches no problem as does all my Adobe CS Programs and IExplorer. Help does not launch though.
    I booted off the Lacie and that works fine so I then updated the Mac to 10.3.5 (the same as the Lacie) and this cured the problem. After shutting down however the problem reappeared. I have rebuilt permissions etc. Then I have done and archive and install of 10.27 on the Mac to see if it was a Panther thing. The odd behaviour continues.
    This has me baffled
  2. cluthz macrumors 68040

Jun 15, 2004
    Have you repaired permissions?
    If you have trouble running diskutil, you can boot from you system cd and run diskutil from it.
  3. tigershoot1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Nov 1, 2004
    Repair permission

Yes, I have done this twice and it made no difference. I have run disk utility by booting from the CD. It too made no difference.