Progress on Apple Campus 2 Continues as Walls Go Up

Discussion in ' News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 10, 2014.

1. macrumors bot

Apr 12, 2001

Construction at Apple's Spaceship campus continues, with the circular building beginning to take shape according to an image posted to Twitter by KCBS news and traffic reporter Ron Cervi (via 9to5Mac).

In the most recent shot, a wall has been built around the perimeter of the building, outlining where the foundation will be poured. A different tweet by @DawnMortensen notes that Pruneridge Avenue, a road that runs through the campus itself, has been permanently closed.

Street-level photographs back in December revealed several buildings still standing, but another aerial photo from February suggested a large portion of the demolition work had been completed. During construction, Apple has closed off sidewalks and built a large green privacy fence to keep the area hidden.

Cervi has been posting a number of images of the campus over the past few months, tracking the progress of construction. Campus 2 is expected to open in 2016.

Article Link: Progress on Apple Campus 2 Continues as Walls Go Up
  2. macrumors 6502

Feb 26, 2009
    maybe 2017/2018

even dec. 31st 2016 seems a bit...optimistic. Just moving the amount of material, let alone the construction/fit & finish seems to push a reasonable estimate beyond 2016.
  3. Moderator

Staff Member

Sep 8, 2010
    Detroit, Michigan
    It's coming along quickly. Seems like progress is being made not too long after Steve brought it before the City Council for such a huge project.
  4. macrumors 68030

Aug 10, 2010
    macrumors apparently
  5. macrumors 65816

Apr 22, 2008
    Wow those 'tiny' trucks really give you a sense of scale of the whole thing. I hope we get some decent photos of the inside and out when it's completed, since I'm never going to be able to go in person haha!
  6. macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Jul 16, 2002
    My guess is that Apple didn't close the sidewalks or erect the perimeter construction fences. That kind of thing is the responsibility of the contractor.

Recompacting the soil.
  7. macrumors member

Sep 1, 2010
    So, are there any builders here who want to shed light on how you make the foundation level for such a large building, and what are the tolerances usually?
  8. macrumors 603

Oct 21, 2008
    Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
    Nice, looks pretty impressive. I expect endless polo mint jokes will follow it's completion haha.

But where are they going to park 15,000 cars? I believe that's the number of employee's they expect to work there.
  9. macrumors 68020

Dec 9, 2008
    Hill Valley, California
    Ah, yes, the obligatory crop-circle phase of any architectural undertaking…
  10. macrumors 6502a

Jul 27, 2012
    I think it's preparing for liftoff, but it needs to emerge from it's silo first.
  11. macrumors 6502a

Mar 30, 2010
    wow those homes are so close. I'd be kinda bent about that.
  12. macrumors regular

Mar 18, 2010
    As an amature historian, I look at this construction and ponder who will build upon this site in thirty years when Apple, Inc has been purchased/merged into some other corporate multi-national. The only constant is change.
  13. macrumors 601

Mar 2, 2012
    Underground parking garage :)
  14. macrumors regular

Mar 5, 2009
    Free iPads?

Maybe Tim Cook & the rest of the brass will present each home owner with a special, limited edition Apple Space Campus iPad & an iTunes gift card. :)
  15. macrumors regular

May 1, 2008
  16. macrumors regular

Jan 27, 2011
    This has probably been posted before...

The new Apple campus looks not too dissimilar to the GCHQ ( Government Communications headquarters) building here in the UK. Although it does seem just a tad bigger :p

Attached Files:

17. macrumors 68030

Mar 2, 2009
    Judging by the size of the semi-truck in there, it appears you could have a massive semi-truck demo derby in there :p
  18. macrumors 6502a

Nov 13, 2012
  19. macrumors 68040

Sep 4, 2009
    The construction technique for setting up such a large foundation is well established in California for building codes.

First, since it is such a large structure, there is no single foundation. From the public plans of the project, they will consolidate the ground to a flat surface and then embed below the ground steel pillars (typically i-beams) from the ground surface to the bedrock below.

My guess is they are segmenting the circular foundation into "pie sections" of individual pours. This way, when an earthquake comes, the building will ripple on each foundation pour without cracking the structure as a whole. On top of that, each foundation pie section has it's part of the mother-ship built on top of it so it looks like a single structure.

In an architecture and civil engineering view, it is a single loop of multiple structures with cosmetic attachments to each other. This is how Infinite Loop on De Anza is build with more distinction of each foundations.

I wouldn't be surprised if the original proposal of Infinite Loop was closer to this design than the existing structure design on De Anza.
  20. macrumors regular

Jun 29, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Finally, my new place of worship is coming to life! :apple:
  21. macrumors 65816

Jun 18, 2010
    You prefer the asphalt and boxes it is replacing? The HP campus went right up to the streets on every side.

22. macrumors 6502a

Mac Fly (film)

Feb 12, 2006
    It's disgusting how much tax payer money and power these spying agencies are allocated. All to spy on their own citizens and the citizens of others.
  23. macrumors 603

Oct 13, 2008
    Everywhere And Nowhere
  24. thaifood, Jun 10, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2014

macrumors 6502

Jun 8, 2011
    Coincidently, this article was just posted about street art by Banksy near that building.

Edit: Clearly, someone is listening is to your thoughts. Best put on the tinfoil :D
  25. macrumors regular

Jul 18, 2002
    Chandler, Az
    Have they already dug out and finished the secret underground bunker?