Project for the New American Century

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by macguymike, Jun 12, 2004.

1. macguymike macrumors 6502

Project for the New American Century is an interesting (scary if you ask me) site for an organization dedicated to furthering American viewpoints and interests around the world. They fully support President Bush's campaign against terrorism. Click around the site a bit and consider that Dan Quale, Donald Rumsfeld, Dick Cheney, Steve Forbes, AND Jeb Bush (President Bush's brother, governor of Florida) are all listed as supporters.

Food for thought. Note that this organization was founded when former President Clinton was in office (1997).

More info about this organization and the founding organization, the New Citizenship Project, can be found at www.disinfopedia.org's website.

2. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

This site has been linked to, and discussed many times before, but it is always good to remind folks of neocon ground zero. ;)

Here are a few other links that might be helpful in understanding the workings of the PNAC.

pnac.info

Right Web

3. macguymike thread starter macrumors 6502

Sorry to rehash an old topic. Like you said, though, never hurts to remind people. Thanks for pointing out the other sites for info. :)

4. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Regardless of the NeoCons and anybody's antipathy toward them, this (apparent) update seems to provide food for thought:

http://www.newamericancentury.org/defense-20040601.htm

It certainly gives a broader view of the concept of preemptive strike. It's not new; nor is it a Liberal/Conservative thing.

'Rat

5. macguymike thread starter macrumors 6502

For the record, I am not against bringing the person(s) responsible for 9/11 (whomever that might be) to justice.

My issue is that I just don't think our motives in Iraq were purely out of self defense. I have misgivings about how it was all played out, and the New American Century site generally only furthers those misgivings.

6. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

This Frontline documentary on PBS traces the Bush doctrine back to its roots in the early 1990s to the neocons who ultimately formed the Project for the New American Century.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/iraq/etc/cron.html

These idea have been around for quite a while, but cooler heads have rejected them until now.

7. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Some of this "preemptive strike" rationalization seems to be a weasel-worded way of saying, "We want an empire!"

Several problems with that notion: We're not wired up to be as harsh as the Romans or Spanish in controlling large groups of people, and we're beyond the White Man's Burden notions that typified the British.

And the economics of empire, sooner or later, just really suck.

'Rat

8. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

You've put your finger on it. The "American exceptionalism" theory behind the neocon world view is very similar to the old British "white man's burden," and leads to more or less then same result. It boils down to the advancing the idea that the United States is simply better than the rest of the world, so whatever the United States wants, the United States should get -- by whatever means are required. It's imperialism by another name. If I fault George Bush for any single thing more than another, it's for allowing these people to whisper in his ear. It doesn't take much reading into the what the PNAC and the people who started it believe to find a complete explanation for the Iraq adventure that's got little or nothing to do with WMD and even less to do with democratizing the Middle East.