Projector Help, Please

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by octoberdeath, Oct 8, 2006.

1. octoberdeath macrumors regular

octoberdeath

i work for a nonprofit organization that puts on weekly meetings. we just recently moved locations to a larger room. along with the new room we issued a new projector. this projector is larger and more capably than our older version. i tried hooking my macbook pro 17" up to it using the DVI connection and it didn't recognize it. i then connected it using my DVI to VGA adapter with a VGA cord and it could see the connection but the picture displayed was only distorted colors flickering in and out. what on earth do i need to do? i have a external monitor i connect to all the time without any problems and the smaller projector we used before. can someone please give me some info on how to solve this problem.

2. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

The make and model of the projector might be useful here.

3. octoberdeath thread starter macrumors regular

octoberdeath

that is a good idea. thing is i am not privy to that information at this juncture. would there be any general kinks that i could possibly try and work out? i will try to get that info on here tomorrow.

4. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

It's really hard to guess at what may be useful things to look for, without knowing the projector's capabilities and limits. It's possible that there is a setting that needs to be turned on in the projector, or that the Mac needs to be manually set up to sync correctly (this sometimes happens with TV sets).

Are you plugging directly into the projector, or is there any kind of interface box in between?

5. octoberdeath thread starter macrumors regular

octoberdeath

Ok found what kind it is... its a Sharp projector... but see i don't believe that is the problem. i'm hooking up in the balcony of this place and i'm using the adapter to vga but i only get crazy lines. i then proceeded to hook up to a another vga connection in the front where the stage is and it worked just fine! so i'm not sure why it would do this. i think some how they are going from vga to component but i can't tell because the wires go from the balcony through the floor to the projector which is hanging 10' up. I don't know if this helps any but i just can't figure this out...