Projector questions

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by JasonL, Mar 7, 2004.

1. JasonL macrumors regular

Hi everyone. I'm a new mac owner and have just bought Keynote. I need to make a multimedia presentation in class in a few weeks. I don't own a projector but the school has projectors available (Epson 730c). My professor isn't too keen on anyone bringing in their own notebook computers to hook up to the projector she has because of the time involved, etc. She wants everyone to use her windows machine but to just bring their CD in. Obviously, that is not going to work for me.

So my question is, are these projectors PnP? Meaning, can I just disconnect her notebook and hook mine up without installing anything. I'm new to this (as you can tell) so I could use some help. I think the 730c has an S-video jack, so could I not bring an S-video cable and use one of those to make my presentation? :confused:

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance guys.

Jason

2. realityisterror macrumors 65816

realityisterror

if you are using keynote, you can actually put it on a cd. in keynote: File --> Export... then choose quicktime, then choose interactive (this makes it necessary for you to hit a key to go on, rather than just playing it straight through)
    just makes sure your professor has quicktime installed. (you may want to ask in advance ;) )

hope this works for you,
    reality

3. JasonL thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the information. I didn't know you could save a slideshow in quicktime format. That is certainly something that I will look into. Her laptop does appear to be a relic, though (it runs Win98), so we'll see what happens.

Thanks again.

Jay

4. ahmadof macrumors member

not only can you export into quicktime...

but you can also save as a powerpoint presentation. you will lose any transitions like rotating cube. but if you have simple transitions (ie those supported by powerpoint) they will work. if you are not going to bring your laptop, i think it is best to save in both formats to ensure that you will at least be able to present something.

5. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Projector hook-up

Assuming the method posted above does not prove viable, it can be as simple as this:
    1) Unhook PC from projector
    2) Hook up PB via S-video, VGA or RCA(To save time, have PB booted up prior)
    3) Detect displays on PB
    4) Present...
    I have do do this often at my school...no problems

6. JasonL thread starter macrumors regular

Well, I think that should do it. It doesn't seem like it is going to be that big of a deal after all. I don't have PPT on my PB, so I'll either go the QuickTime route; or, since it sounds easy enough, just bring my PB to class.

Thanks again.

Jay

7. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

see if you can test it the day before. You may have to "detect" inputs on the projector too - many don't search for inputs, but manually have to be shown where the signal is. S-Video widescreen sometimes looks funny - make sure the Keynote presentation is designed for the resolution of the projector. You'd be amazed at how many have limited display capabilities.

8. JasonL thread starter macrumors regular

Aargh! Just when I thought it was going to be all so easy! :p I'll see what I can do about test-driving the setup. If it came right down to it I could rent one from a local mac retailer, get it all working perfectly at my house and then bring the whole setup to class.

I will definitely keep resolution in mind. Thank you.