Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

charlestrippy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Tampa, Florida
So i'm curious - what's the best method to prolonging the ipod battery life..?

i hear horror stories about peoples batteries dying after a year or so....

so im wondering whats the best way to make sure my ipod last as long as possible....

i'm sure a lot of other people are curious as well!! thanks!!

greg555

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2005
Canada
The battery wears out after a certain number of charge/discharge cycles so doing things to extend your run-time will reduce the number of charges per month/year. These include turning off the EQ, turning off the backlight (or setting a short time), using lower bit rates if possible, not skipping songs too much (make a playlist you like and live with it :) ).

I have heard (from a radio control airplane guy) that lithium-ion cells don't like to be left in a discharged state. The longer you leave them the more damage done. I don't know if the iPod shuts off before the battery gets low enough for this to be an issue, but it may be wise to not run the iPod totally dead unless you can charge it up soon.

Greg

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
Its funny to see people wanting more battery life out of their iPods.

I never run out of battery on my iPod (and never did with my previous iPods - 1G mini, 4G U2 b/w, 60 gig Photo).

A couple day ago I wanted to see how long my iPod's battery can last. I didnt recharge it on purpose, used iPod on battery more than I really do (for example listening to music via headphones and not my sound system when im at home): music, videos, photos. So? iPod died after 2.5 days :D

charlestrippy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Tampa, Florida
no no - i'm not looking for keeping it long per use...

i mean over time (years) like with load cycles...like with the computer...

do I let it drain half way- then recharge? full then recharge? etc

Shadow

macrumors 68000
Feb 17, 2006
Its just like a laptop: let it fully discharge and fully charge it atleast ONCE a month-but anymore is even better.

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
charlestrippy said:
no no - i'm not looking for keeping it long per use...

i mean over time (years) like with load cycles...like with the computer...

I know, just wanted to share my thoughts :)

adamchase

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2006
i was talking about playing videos but having the battery not drain so fast. I can listen to music for 2 days withough having to recharge. and i listne to alot of music during the day but want to be able to watch some video too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.