promise keepers

Discussion in 'Community' started by jefhatfield, Nov 12, 2003.

1. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

i had an ex priest friend go to promise keepers, a inter faith organization for men about relationships

he has learned a lot but he has become incresingly conservative in his views, socially so, and i was wondering if this group has a political element?

he personally believes codom use, even in marriage, is a sin and a form of abortion

my question is "is that a belief of the group?"

just curious

2. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

I suppose that would be an extremist interpretation of an anti-abortion point of view. I myself am anti-abortion, and somewhat conservative, however I feel condoms should be used in all cases, to prevent unwanted pregnancy...

3. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

i think he told me once that it's all god's will (in the context of marriage and he has three unplanned children)

i once heard a joke about sex and politics from leno about that:

why is an elephant the symbol of the republican party?

A: they're rich and fat, leave a big mess for others to clean up, and have sex just once a year:eek: :p

4. alset macrumors 65816

alset

I think PK are actually a bit of a brainwashing group. Just what I've gathered through the grape vine.

Dan

5. voicegy macrumors 65816

voicegy

Sandy Eggo - MacRumors Member since 1-1-2002
    Re: promise keepers

How convenient for the male. Would he, then, ask that the female be the responsible party for "protection", or would he feel the same way? (just curious...)

6. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

Re: Re: promise keepers

remember conservative ronald reagan taking america back to a more conservative time... back to the 1950s?

well this guy kind of wants to turn the clock back to the middle ages in some respects ;)

7. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

im curious about pk myself. i would never join it... but really how much harm do they do? how much good do they do? if its neutral or positive ... dont worry.
    brainwashing happens in all types of groups... even liberal ones... so we shouldnt imply its only exclusive to conservative ones or ones with belief systems we may not agree with.

8. manitoubalck macrumors 6502a

manitoubalck

Re: promise keepers

I don't live in the States so don't know about the group(they may exsit in Aus but I haven't seen them.) Contraception is a touchy issue, If your friend was a Catholic Preist then that will probably explain his views.

9. ckwm macrumors member

I'd agree that the condom usage views are Catholic. The Promise Keepers are a theologically conservative outfit and explicitly Christian rather than multi-faith.

10. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I wouldn't go so far to say that condom use is a form of abortion since it's not technically ending a life, but rather preventing it from taking place. Aside from that, it's more than just a pregnancy prevention method. There's couple who use them for other reasons, like prevention of transmission of herpes & such. I think it's just an extremist view to scare people into believing something.

I know I'll have disagreeance here, but I honestly feel fear motivates most people dealing with organized religion.

11. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

It's actually kind of weird how PK bloomed and gained many members in the run-up the the new millenium, but since then their numbers have dwindled significantly. I guess more than a few men were hedging their bets that the Lord was coming at the end of the 20th century!

12. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

basically i meant non denominational so there were christians of all stripes attending

what has scared me over the past several years is that the political emphasis ala gop has really changed the face of christianity in america from a faith of following jesus christ as personal savior to following goerge w bush as personal savior and many conservative christians have tossed jesus out along the way

if there ever was a false religion as mentioned in revealation it is the christian right bathed in racisim, sexism, materialism, and basic hatred of foreigners and different ideas...a far cry from jesus of nazareth who took his ministry to the cosmopolitan jerusalem and took the faith beyond the confines of israel

13. rueyeet macrumors 65816

rueyeet

In my view, the close association of the GOP and right-wing fundamentalist Christianity hasn't bettered either group. And, as you say, the line seems to be a bit blurred.

All I know about the Promise Keepers is that they are a conservative movement founded in fundamentalist Christianity whose aim is to bring men back to being committed to Christ and their families. The men are to promise that they will love and provide for their families, while their wives and children are to accept the man's decisions as the head of household. It's supposed to be based on that Bible passage about the duties of husbands and wives, parents and children in the family. Much of that, of course, is just thinly veiled mysogyny (sp?).

And of course the strict Christian view on contraception in ANY form is that it is a human attempt to interfere with the will of God, so both condoms and birth control are seen as a sin morally equivalent to abortion.

It's always been my view that if God is so paranoid and controlling, then he's no god I want any part of; but then I also don't think he puts as much stock in many of the things some of his more radical followers obsess over as those followers assume.

Can't blame God for his worshippers, after all. ;) :)